Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Extremely intermittent USB connection, no matter what I try!!! 1 month 3 weeks ago #60107

• Raccio14
  • Raccio14's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone else had really bad issues getting a stable USB connection with their MiniDSP SHD?

This has been a huge headache for me the whole time I've owned the device.   For starters, the USB cable that came with the device was actually broken! 
But after figuring that out, I took the (very high-quality) USB cable from my Roland Octacapture (another high-quality audio interface device that supports 24bit/192kHz transfer of 8 audio channels over USB).  

Even using the very high quality USB cable from my Roland Octacapture, the device has me sitting on pins and needles.   If I accidentally wiggle the cable AT ALL while my computer is plugged into the device, it disconnects.  If I use a USB extender cable, if I even touch or breathe on the cable wrong, the SHD disconnects.  

Every time the SHD disconnects I have to do a FULL POWERCYCLE to get it to re-connect again.   I'm talking the physical power switch on the back.  Simply turning the unit on and off with the remote is not enough.  

This is absolutely crazy!!!  Neither of the several other audio interfaces I've own have this issue.  (Roland Octacapture, Scarlet 2i2, MOTU Ultra-lite).  I tested them all specifically to compare and verify.
If there's ever an issue with the connection, all that is required to re-set the connection and re-connect is simply unplugging the USB and plugging it back in, NOT A FULL HARDWARE RESET!!!!!!
In fact, even with a 10-ft USB extender cable all 3 of them work fairly reliably!!! And if there's ever an issue, I just re-connect... 

Please advise. 
MiniDSP support has told me that I have to use a short USB cable and that there's nothing wrong with the device.  They've told me that ALL low-latency high-bit-rate audio interfaces share these same limitations.  But from my experience, I know that this is simply untrue. 
The MiniDSP SHD has by far the most finicky connectivity I've ever experienced with an audio interface!!!

And ultimately, it doesn't answer the question of why I should have to perform a full hardware reset every time it disconnects.   EVERY other device I've ever used will reconnect with a simple "unplug the USB and plug it back in"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extremely intermittent USB connection, no matter what I try!!! 1 month 3 weeks ago #60110

• JaapDeventer
  • Thank you received: 7
Using a 1,5m cable for playing music never gives me problems.

Using a 5m cable when doing Dirac measurements can be troublesome. Since I use a cheap powered USB hub at the laptop side I have no connection problems anymore.

Greetings. 

Extremely intermittent USB connection, no matter what I try!!! 1 month 3 weeks ago #60116

• gbr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I am using a 5m USB cable for measurement, too, and never had problems. Also if connected via an additional passive USB hub I do not have problems. So it sounds that your USB socket may be faulty?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raccio14

Extremely intermittent USB connection, no matter what I try!!! 1 month 3 weeks ago #60123

• Raccio14
Thanks gbr and JaapDeventer. 

Everything you've said has farther validated my convictions that I always had a faulty unit and MiniDSP support team has been gaslighting me and lying to my face for months. 

This has been the worst support experience I've ever had.  I really expected more from a company with such a great reputation. 

Last edit: by Raccio14. Reason: trying not to be so angry

Extremely intermittent USB connection, no matter what I try!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #60142

• Raccio14

Using a 1,5m cable for playing music never gives me problems.

Using a 5m cable when doing Dirac measurements can be troublesome. Since I use a cheap powered USB hub at the laptop side I have no connection problems anymore.

Greetings. 

JaapDeventer,

adding a hub to do some passive buffering seems to have helped a lot!  Thanks!!!

This even solved the connectivity issues I've been having with my Mac!!!!! (at least somewhat..  It's still less reliable than the PC) .

Last edit: by Raccio14.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam