Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59513

• H0m4g32B3v
  • Thank you received: 12
Good conversation all; I have two follow-ups:

Asx77, are you saying you run MSO and DL simultaneously?  I tried MSO long ago and it was... weird... so I moved on.  No doubt I made rookie errors, maybe I should try again.

Nealsal, thank you for the link!  I've downloaded them and listening to one now.  But these files are simply dead flat response with a bass boost.  Is that all the famous Harman curve is?  I find that both surprising and confusing.  I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rthorntn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59516

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109
Yes MSO and Dirac. I have to admit I became a little obsessive about it. If you ever watch any audioholics videos, Gene there always goes on about how he's got his seat to seat variation down to +/- 7 dB or similar so I was determined to do the same.

Firstly I optimised the sub positions just measuring them with REW plus set their gains the same. What I then do is run 1 measurement with Dirac at the MLP with my subs off so that Dirac calculates any minor L and R mains delay and gain but I don't let Dirac apply it. Instead I do that manually on the outputs of the plugin.
Then with subs back on, and Dirac switched off, I take all my measurements for MSO, run it and let MSO calculate the sub delays and gains. It will work out the best place for the filters and create as many PEQs as you like (but don't exceed what the minidsp can take). If it asks me to apply a delay to the mains then I remember to add that on top of the little delay I already Aand the same with any gains. Then output the crossovers and PEQs as biquads (making sure to select the appropriate device withing MSO). 

Go to minidsp device and import the biquads. 

A mixture of luck and persistence got me to a psychoacousticaly smoothed +/- 2.5 dB  (though over a smaller listening area than in Gene's HT).

Once you've got the subs and mains integrated like though +/-2.5dB is possibly overkill, you copy that config to all 4 slots. You can then run Dirac like normal but with gain and delay off.

Warning: Just because I'm a 'Platinum' member, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about... It just means I've asked too many questions!!

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59518

• rthorntn
  • rthorntn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks everyone, this thread has taken on a life of it's own!

I like what I'm reading on Fletcher-Munson compensation for bass, as I mostly listen at low levels.

I'd rather not do DIRAC again, is adding db on my SVS 3000 Micro's config app a valid way to improve things at low volumes?

For both subs, the SVS Android app shows my volume as -10db.  The app allows me to change this, so is simply increasing the volume on both subs going to give me this bass boost, or should I get the UMIK out again?

Sorry if this is stupid question, a lot of this is new to me 😀

Thanks.
Richard

Last edit: by rthorntn.

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59521

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No need for more measurements. Open the plugin, launch dirac software, and select file and open project. Hopefully when you took the measurements in the first place the dirac project file was saved. 

Then just go straight to the house curves tab. Create curves with higher bass and save to other config.

The only prob will be that dirac has a 10db boost limit. If your subs weren't running on the hot side prior to taking your dirac measurements it may not be able to boost to your liking. I run my subs about 10dB higher than the mains before dirac so Dirac applies cuts rather than boosts in that region. 

Someone else will need to say if boosting the subs via the SVS app is a legitimate way to get the same results. I'd imagine it is but might be missing something obvious. 
Warning: Just because I'm a 'Platinum' member, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about... It just means I've asked too many questions!!

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59524

• rthorntn
Genuine question, is the default of -10db classed as "hot", the volume seems to go down to -60db, is -10db going to be 83% of full volume?

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59525

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What I meant was increase the gain on your subs so they are 10db above the mains before taki g dirac measurements. Then Dirac can cut as much as it likes. Dirac will not boost anything more than 10db but think there is no limit on cuts. 

P.s. I think the db value on the display and the voltage output are not linear. Think it's a logarithmic scale. Again need someone with greater understanding of the correlation to chip in.

P.p.s. Full actual SPL will also depend on your amp's input sensitivity. The amp might reach full rated output power at 1v input. It may reach it at 2v for examples. So 'max' volume will be different for different people. 

Last edit: by asx77.

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59526

• rthorntn
Thanks, I'm confused though, where do I increase gain, on the relevant SHD output channels (for the subs)?

I found this:

www.minidsp.com/forum/minidsp-for-newbie...-shd-gain-adjustment

"combining the gains in the matrix mixer crosspoint (right click and gain at crosspoint up to +12dB) + gain at the outputs faders (+12dB again) so total could be up to +24dB"

What is the "matrix mixer crosspoint"?

Last edit: by rthorntn.

Bass boost 9 months 2 weeks ago #59529

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No. Just turn that gain dial on the back of your subs. Use REW so they measure about the same SPL when you're 1m away from them and have it higher than the mains.

Then take your MSO measurements and do all that good stuff then run Dirac. So MSO doesn't cut all the subs back to mains level play around with the target level. Make it a little high too.

Last edit: by asx77.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam