Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DAC 3 weeks 5 days ago #55986

• bmosesso
  • bmosesso's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am considering purchasing a SHD to use with my powered speakers. I want the SHD for the analog input for my TT.
Since the speakers have a built in DAC am I able to bypass the DAC in the SHD?
Trying to keep less links in the chain for sound quality.
Thanks in advance for any direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DAC 3 weeks 5 days ago #55987

• gbr
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
yes, this is possible. From the list of hardware features:
  • Outputs: 4 x digital (SPDIF out), 4 x analog out (Balanced XLR, unbalanced RCA)
So if you can use the SPDIF out to connect the speakers, this works. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: bmosesso

DAC 3 weeks 5 days ago #55988

• bmosesso
  • bmosesso's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So to confirm if I use the SPDIF digital out to speakers it will by pass the SHD internal DAC?

DAC 3 weeks 4 days ago #55999

• gbr
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
I own the SHD Studio (that comes without the analog in- and outputs). But as far as I have read and understand the digitals outs of the SHD do offer the same signal as the analog outputs. Everything else would be very astonishing.

You can check the manuals / datasheets www.minidsp.com/support/downloads

"Three digital inputs, two analog inputs and USB Audio enable the SHD to fit right into any modern audio system, while processed outputs are available as unbalanced and balanced analog as well as digital."

I understand "processed outputs" as the dirac processed signal is passed to all outputs.

Also: "8. Digital outputs. Connect external DACs or other digital equipment using RCA SPDIF. These outputs each carry a stereo signal. The data format is 24-bit 96 kHz. Connected equipment must therefore be able to accept a 24-bit 96 kHz input signal.Note: if using two different DACs, you may need to adjust the time delay on the output channels accordingly."

Last edit: by gbr.

DAC 3 weeks 4 days ago #56003

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 246

So to confirm if I use the SPDIF digital out to speakers it will by pass the SHD internal DAC?

I'm certain the answer is 'yes', as it would be crazy to do anything else.

DAC 3 weeks 3 days ago #56023

• notman
  • Thank you received: 30
The answer to the OP is “yes.”

You can manipulate the signal however you want in the digital domain - PEQ, crossover, Dirac, matrix, etc. - then maintain the digital signal on the way out. The only thing that is happening, I believe, is that the SHD is working internally at 32bit/92khz but is outputting via SPDIF at 24/96. No big deal there. It would work great for bringing in a TT analog signal, running it through DSP and then sending it digitally out to the active speakers.

The only question is whether the DAC in your speakers is any better than the SHD’s which isn’t state of the art but is objectively very good. If not, run the analogs out of the SHD.

DAC 3 weeks 3 days ago #56024

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 246

...I believe, is that the SHD is working internally at 32bit/92khz but is outputting via SPDIF at 24/96.

I suspect this is what you meant but internally the SHD uses a 96 kHz sample frequency, not 92 kHz.

As regards whether it's better to use the DAC in the speakers or not will in part depend whether the speakers have a digital crossover or not. If they do then an analogue input will pass through an ADC anyway so it would arguably be better to use a digital input. As it happens I've recently bought some Edifier S3000 Pro speakers to experiment with, and I'll likely use the digital input for exactly this reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: notman

• Page:
Moderators: devteam