Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2.2 setup question - which minidsp is right for me 7 months 4 weeks ago #54990

• entripy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100
I use Naim amplifiers which use DIN sockets and there was a spare DIN socket on the NAP180 which carried the NAC72 output signals which allowed me to tap them off there.

Everything gets a bit more complicated with external DACs which is why I got a full SHD and use the builtin DACs which measure very well. However you should be able to use Y-cables after the preamp in the SHD > DAC > preamp system.

In the second scenario I use channel 3 of the SHD to drive the sub but still don't use any crossovers in the SHD.

In both scenarios I rely only on the low pass filter of the sub to 'tune' it for best match to the main speakers. I realise this sounds unusual but the tradtional method of crossing over drive units is only strictly required when it is the *only* method of balancing frequencies. With the SHD we are fortunate to have Dirac which is ideally suited to balancing any wonky frequency response. Admittedly the signals are not shared out between speakers in quite the same way so may not be suitable for every situation. In my case the Tannoy Revolution XT-8F had sufficient low frequency extension by themselves and the sub was only added to fill in a small suckout in the 40-50Hz range on the left channel. I couldn't hear it but Dirac consistently measured it so I used a single sub to address that.

Suffice it to say that I was unsure it would work without full crossovers but the theory seemed fine so I started simple and it worked so well I've never bothered going to crossovers. In your case it may or may not work so well but at least its something else you can try, simply and cheaply.

Whatever you do, the key to sanity is to have a single main volume control affecting *all* speakers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by entripy. Reason: fix typo

2.2 setup question - which minidsp is right for me 7 months 4 weeks ago #54992

• kearkg123
  • kearkg123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for all the advice, i keep thinking about the best way to do this....

i just realised that I can actually use the preout ports of my stereo integrated amp to connect my 2 subs while also having my stereo speakers connected to the speaker terminals

is it OK for me to start off by going SHD > Stereo Integrated Amp > Preout to 2 x Subwoofers
SHD > Stereo Integrated Amp > Speaker Terminals to speakers

use the low pass on the sub for tuning. then use DIRAC.

then let's say , remove the stereo integrated amp and I will use a separate two channel power amplifier i have. then the signal chain will be
SHD > Power Amp > Speakers
SDH > Subwoofer

this will allow me to test the SQ with my stereo integrated amp, then remove it and test it with the SHD going direct to a power amplifier. then if i like the SQ of the SHD going direct into the amplifier i can keep it that way (i.e. end up where you have).

Last edit: by kearkg123.

2.2 setup question - which minidsp is right for me 7 months 4 weeks ago #54995

• entripy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100
I'm not an expert on the Studio,
I think it has an extra digital output or two that would otherwise be used for the internal DACs on the full SHD
Conversely the SHD has 4 channels of internal DACs instead of more external digital outputs.
The other main differences are cost and size I believe.
If cost and size don't matter much and you only need to use a single external stereo DAC I would be tempted to go for the full SHD then you have different DACs (internal and external) you can compare.

One thing about SHD systems, and probably any hifi system, is that despite your best efforts to choose an optimal setup initially, it will inevitably change with time, so arguably having more relevant options to choose between is wise.

asx77 makes a very wise point about time alignment. That is why I moved to using a 3rd SHD channel for my sub.
If you can't seperately time align your sub with your main speakers they will need to all be at the same distance from the listening position.
In practice subs generally work best in corners

Last edit: by entripy.

2.2 setup question - which minidsp is right for me 7 months 4 weeks ago #54996

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Your can follow that approach. Just do it knowing you can’t apply a crossover to your mains and you can’t time align your subs to your mains until everything comes direct from the miniDSP. How much of a difference that makes will vary from set up to set up.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam