Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Using preamp with SHD 10 months 3 weeks ago #54280

• robertofabbri
  • Thank you received: 5
I think the best solution at all would be to connect the SHD through a preamplifier equipped with a tape loop (or processor in/out).
This solution makes possible to:
- set volume via SHD
- connect a bunch of different sources
- have a standard line level input for minidsp
- benefit of the more drive provided by the pre out towards the main amp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Using preamp with SHD 10 months 3 weeks ago #54288

• martinwh
  • martinwh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Excellent idea! Problem is my preamp does not have a tape monitor loop. I do like the idea to be able to easily put the SHD in and out of the system. A tape monitor loop would do this nicely. I would need one with XLR balanced connections.

Using preamp with SHD 10 months 3 weeks ago #54301

• Jeff328gts
  • Thank you received: 4
I don't know if this helps but I have a Parasound P5 preamp, A23 power amp, and SHD with 2 passive speakers and 2 self-powered subwoofers.

I have all my analog sources connected to the P5 and all my digital sources connected to the SHD. The record outs (fixed-output single-ended connections) on the P5 are connected to the SE analog ins on the SHD and the ch1 and ch2 XLR outputs of the SHD are connected to the A23 and the ch3 and ch4 SE outputs of the SHD are connected to the subwoofer LFE inputs. Of course if your preamp doesn't have any fixed-level outputs then this won't work.

This allows me to use the phono section and analog source switching of the P5 while bypassing its volume, balance, and tone controls, and use the SHD to control system volume, crossovers, digital source switching and streaming, DAC duties, and Dirac filtering. It works and sounds great.

Using preamp with SHD 10 months 3 weeks ago #54324

• martinwh
  • martinwh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks, I will have to try a few of these options.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam