Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SHD - Ground Loop Hum 1 year 10 months ago #54709

• entripy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 130
If your problem really was ground loop hum your clarification still doesn't support your conclusions.

Yes mains filters are great, I use several DC blocking filters, but neither they nor any other filter can help solve ground loop hum.

It is very common to blame the last device plugged in for causing ground loop hum in a system that never suffered it before. The problem is that if you connect your devices in a different order, a different device then appears to be responsible. Which item is at fault? Probably none of them. Its a weakness in unbalanced systems that are essentialy a number of ground loops just waiting to happen.

Please note that I commented not to have an argument with you but because I felt it was wise to prevent unsupported conclusions crtical of the SHD being the last word for people doing google searches. At least there are some contrary opionions now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHD - Ground Loop Hum 1 year 10 months ago #54711

• murtazao
  • Thank you received: 5
I didn’t intend to disparage the SHD, it sounds fantastic. My main point was to suggest looking beyond how components are plugged into the mains outlets for solutions to hum/noise. In my case it involved an isolator on the RCA cables. I have seen cases where removing the 12V trigger cable between AVR and amp resolved the hum.

I agree that trying to understand or find the root cause of hum/ground loops is generally futile, Solutions on the other hand are easier to discover through trial and error and certain best practices,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by murtazao.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam