Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SHD - can both XLR & unbalanced outs be used? 10 months 3 weeks ago #51489

• entripy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
One important point about Dirac, it handles cuts a lot easier than boosts, so whatever manual bass management you do with hardware crossovers and SHD plugin should result in bumps rather than notches. Hardware filters are best if their cutoff is adjustable to ensure that but REW can soon tell you what your natural frequency response is. Dirac is limited to around 10dB boost so it will not fill in any dips greater than 10dB below the nominal response. Dirac has no practical limit on cuts so it can cope with most peaks. Hence most people either aim for bumps rather than notches for Dirac to compensate or alternatively set their target curve along the bottom of the notches, which achieves the same thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHD - can both XLR & unbalanced outs be used? 10 months 3 weeks ago #51494

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 271
Have you ever experimented with not using the ceiling subs but crossing over to the Rhythmik at 100 Hz?

SHD - can both XLR & unbalanced outs be used? 10 months 3 weeks ago #51523

• gguillot
  • gguillot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I did, and that is what led me to installing the ceiling subs. However, that was when I had the sub in the other location, much further away. It seemed that the REW filters were cutting the low frequencies to the 906's too much to compensate for the sub. They sounded thin.

SHD - can both XLR & unbalanced outs be used? 10 months 3 weeks ago #51524

• gguillot
I think I am going to explore an either/or approach with the subwoofers. Either I keep the ceiling mount subs, or I keep the Rythmik sub. That will keep things to either 4 outputs or 3, and will make it easier to control.

Ideally, I find out that the best sound comes from the use of ceiling mount subs, since they take no floor space and are very near to the location of the 906's (nod to entripy regarding time alignment.) If I find that control is much better with the ceiling mounts, but their quality is simply not sufficient to reach low enough, I can always upgrade the ceiling subs - I have no limit on space in the ceiling. The ones I have installed are fairly small and didn't require much of an investment, so upgrading them to achieve much more impactful bass frequencies should be quite easy.

So I am going to start with a comparison using REW and filters in Roon and see which is the best sounding scenario. From there, I will invest in an SHD and take the whole thing up a notch with independent channel control and Dirac.

SHD - can both XLR & unbalanced outs be used? 10 months 3 weeks ago #51525

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 271

I did, and that is what led me to installing the ceiling subs. However, that was when I had the sub in the other location, much further away. It seemed that the REW filters were cutting the low frequencies to the 906's too much to compensate for the sub. They sounded thin.

What were you applying REW filters with, and do you have any measured data for what you achieved?

For info. I use a single 15" subwoofer to crossover to my main speakers at about 100 Hz using 48dB per octave crossover filters to minimise overlap. This is why it's not obvious to me why you need the ceiling subs as well. You have a very good sub in your Rhythmik too whilst whatever you have in the ceiling is likely to perform worse I'd have thought.

Ultimately obviously what ever works/sounds best to you of course. I'm just discussing options.

SHD - can both XLR & unbalanced outs be used? 10 months 3 weeks ago #51526

• gguillot
I am using REW to create FIR filters for use in Roon's DSP system. I am going to run the measurements again, this time with the two separate subwoofer options. I'll see what I can post here.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam