Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48066

• mvs0
  • mvs0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6

Could you share these files with me so I can take a look?

I could but actually I won't because @Devteam may prefer I didn't and I really think they would be completely useless to you anyway. I doubt they include Dirac filters (as there is no need for them to) and even if they did I don't think you could upload an amended filter to an SHD.

You could try contacting support directly if you haven't already.

If the filters are not stored on the local pc then you are right.
This assumes that these filters are generated online?
Do you have to be online to upload a new configuration/filter?

I guess I have to buy an SHD to find out if it could be usefull for me.. Not my preference..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48067

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 271

No, I believe they are calculated on the local PC. What I don't believe happens is that they are saved in the project files. They could, and this is my guess, just be stored in volatile memory and sent directly to the SHD from there.

I guess I have to buy an SHD to find out if it could be usefull for me.. Not my preference..

No. Contact support.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48068

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Let me just add that it is possible to create filters and send them to the SHD without saving a project file at all. Although I guess there may well be a temporary file equivalent somewhere.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48072

• entripy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
As an aside, it appears that the Dirac software implementation for PCs had a latency of 16ms, suggesting that perhaps the SHD has 7ms or so excess latency for its own reasons, possibly for high quality sample rate conversion.

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48074

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

As an aside, it appears that the Dirac software implementation for PCs had a latency of 16ms, suggesting that perhaps the SHD has 7ms or so excess latency for its own reasons, possibly for high quality sample rate conversion.

Interesting. Does the PC figure include the D/A step?

I wonder if the crossover etc functionality on the SHD may make an additional contribution.

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48076

• entripy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95

Interesting. Does the PC figure include the D/A step?

I wonder if the crossover etc functionality on the SHD may make an additional contribution.

I doubt it includes other PC latencies, not least because they can vary so much. Its very difficult to find authorative figures for the latency but someone employed by Dirac revealed that 16ms for DAP in a forum, DAP even has a high cpu low latency mode which it says you shouldn't normally use that may reduce the latency a little in some cases, which is about as vague as you can get

Crossovers should be minimum phase LTI and hence causal so not requiring latency I think.

Dirac requires latency because it says the system (the room in particular) is non minimum phase LTI. This means that the system and its inverse (what Dirac applies) cannot both be causal and stable. Since the room is causal and stable and the inverse is required to be stable the inverse cannot also be causal. Hence Dirac requires lookahead.

Can I load my own FIR filter into the SHD? 1 year 4 months ago #48078

• mvs0
  • mvs0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6

No, I believe they are calculated on the local PC. What I don't believe happens is that they are saved in the project files. They could, and this is my guess, just be stored in volatile memory and sent directly to the SHD from there.

No. Contact support.

I just emailed techsupport :)

Moderators: devteam