Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48670

• ashmpatel
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks. I'll give it one more go with a new usb cable and the new version of the shd plugin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48672

• ashmpatel
Please could you paste the link of the new version of the shd plugin ? Just to.make sure I don't stick in the wrong stuff on the laptops

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48673

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 277

Please could you paste the link of the new version of the shd plugin ? Just to.make sure I don't stick in the wrong stuff on the laptops

You'll need to get it via the User Downloads section you can access from the dropdown by your username at the top-right of the screen.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48674

• ashmpatel
Got it. Thx. The change log says minor issues fixed but I'll give it a go.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48676

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Got it. Thx. The change log says minor issues fixed but I'll give it a go.

There seem to be two firmware updates essentially rolled together and its the v1.18 firmware update that I thought might help you since it specifically refers to helping stop Dirac from crashing.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48678

• jaaptina
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
SDH works fine on Windows 10 with me. Using it for more than a year now. Updated to alle new realeases since. But software is a bit complicated to set up. SDH comes with 1) firmware on the SHD, 2) SDH software on Windows, 3) XMOS firmware updater and 4) Dirac software on Windows.

The SDH Windows software 2) is referred to as "the plugin". For Dirac 1 you need to install the Dirac 1 SDH plugin. For Dirac 2 you need to install the different Dirac 2 SDH plugin (scroll down on the user downloads page).

The 1.2d version of shd plugin is old. I think it doesn't match with Dirac 2. The recent plugin version is 1.13.

First download the recent "SDH software for Dirac 2" as shown above.
1) Plugin: Update the Windows plugin to 1.13.
2) Xmos firmware; Update the firmware with the XMOS firmware upgrade tool (miniDSPUAC2Dfu.exe)
SDH plugin should look like:

The SDH Plugin software should look like above when running (not connected here).

ps. The IP adress never shows.

Download Dirac form Dirac website:

3) Dirac 2: Install Dirac 2.5.3

Don't use fixed IP adresses.

Hope this helps.
Attachments:

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48681

• ashmpatel
Updating to 1.3 worked and now the shd software and minidsp shd studio is useable. !!! Amen to that . thanks a lot for helping me. I still think there are obvious updates they need to make to the hardware and software.
1) provide a diagnostic utility on the shd studio so we know it's internals are ok.e.g firmware not corrupted etc
2) test it with Dirac software and have a page that lists what o/s works with which version of studio and Dirac software.
3) add a CRC check for the files donwloy from the website. TCP/ip is not 100pcnt error free . I wouldn't want to download firmware that then bricks the unit !
4) improve the screen so at least it shows the firmware version ,
5) can the unit be kept on indefinitely or needs turning off after daily use ?

That's just top of my head.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48682

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Glad you got it working :) .

I leave my SHD on all the time, just using the 'Power Off?' option you get by pressing and holding the volume knob over night. This may be unfounded but I do this in case there is any risk of powering off the unit risking corrupting any internally stored data in the absence of a proper shutdown procedure. I'm aware of this being an issue with Raspberry Pis. Obviously when I have to switch it off, I do.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48683

• ashmpatel
Weird,they didn'y use the obvious screen estate to display any useful information. I also use the rme adi2dac and look at Thier display .it's so useful, cyrstal clear. It's based on Thier akm4497 DAC which is very nice sounding.i used to use the behringer deq2496 unit for room correction before so shd studio is an upgrade. It still can't do all the work the behringer does so I may plug it back into the chain e.g soundstage width settings and visual peq.for the price, it's a very good unit.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48685

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Weird,they didn'y use the obvious screen estate to display any useful information. I also use the rme adi2dac and look at Thier display .it's so useful, cyrstal clear. It's based on Thier akm4497 DAC which is very nice sounding.i used to use the behringer deq2496 unit for room correction before so shd studio is an upgrade. It still can't do all the work the behringer does so I may plug it back into the chain e.g soundstage width settings and visual peq.for the price, it's a very good unit.

For PEQ filters I'd expect the plugin let's you see the equivalent of what the Behringer does? Not that I ever found this useful myself when using this feature, in that I already know what the filters look like from REW (where I generate them).

Do you have any idea what the 'soundstage width' option on the Beringer does from a signal processing point of view? I'll be honest I'm clueless. It sounds like adding a form of distortion that most would want to avoid but obviously if you like the effect this isn't 'wrong'.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

Shd studio connection set up issues 1 year 6 months ago #48688

• ashmpatel
With the peqs, you can see them graphically on the unit so it's nice that way. I also generate them with REW. For the width,I only expand it a little bit so it sounds like the sound is wider then just my speakers separation. I just upgraded to Martin Logan's xt60i and this width adjust sound nice to my ears. If you have a look at YouTube vids on behringer deq2496, it's good v good reviews. The ADC and DAC are using old chips but I only use the digital processing part for EQ and width so doesn't mess with the sound that much. Having the capacitor changed on it makes a big difference .

Moderators: devteam