Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Volume Control 2 months 2 weeks ago #60192

• plus5volt
  • Thank you received: 6

From what I understand the minidsp is usi g 24bit for volume control. If you're listening to cd quality you can reduce the volume to -48dB before you start losing any resolution. 

it is completely not true, does not matter what bit depth you have, with this attenuation you get close to the noise level, you lose almost all signal.
Look at the picture, full scale signal 0dB, and -48dB. This empty area is signal information you lost, only small information left. 
If you upscale this small signal next, you will scale it up together with the noise.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by plus5volt.

Volume Control 2 months 2 weeks ago #60203

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 418

From what I understand the minidsp is usi g 24bit for volume control. If you're listening to cd quality you can reduce the volume to -48dB before you start losing any resolution. 

it is completely not true, does not matter what bit depth you have, with this attenuation you get close to the noise level, you lose almost all signal.
Look at the picture, full scale signal 0dB, and -48dB. This empty area is signal information you lost, only small information left. 
If you upscale this small signal next, you will scale it up together with the noise.

It's not as clear-cut as you're trying to suggest with your picture, since it depends what the noise level actually is.

Volume Control 2 months 2 weeks ago #60236

• plus5volt
  • Thank you received: 6
When such 16bit digital signal (24bit @ -48dB) will leave digital domain, converted to analog, its amplitude instead 2V will have 4mV... noise and distortion parameters of analog components are given for significantly higher input signals... 

Volume Control 2 months 2 weeks ago #60237

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 418

When such 16bit digital signal (24bit @ -48dB) will leave digital domain, converted to analog, its amplitude instead 2V will have 4mV... noise and distortion parameters of analog components are given for significantly higher input signals... 

My previous point stands. It is best to not just focus on what the signal level is but also what the noise level is. 

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

Volume Control 2 months 2 weeks ago #60247

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
So that's from the Audiosciencereview review of the SHD. Is this what you mean? 
Warning: Just because I'm a 'Platinum' member, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about... It just means I've asked too many questions!!
Attachments:

Last edit: by asx77.

Volume Control 2 months 2 weeks ago #60253

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 706
Loss of signal is not the same as loss of resolution.
Digital volume controls should be pretty well understood at this point.  :)

Vincent Kars has a good write up on his website:
thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asx77

• Page: