Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No OSX compatibility for 22A/22D? 8 years 4 months ago #14928

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1430

I have to say that I’m getting a little frustrated about this — it has been 3 1/2 months and it is not clear that there is any Macintosh progress; instead we have this talk of VM Ware Fusion. I’m going to reiterate that I had both the OpenDRC hardware and the Dirac software before the announcement of the implementation operating fine on my Macintosh, and so it is difficult to understand what the hold-up is. If the Dirac software can make measurements and create files and the OpenDRC software can upload data to the hardware, what is the hold-up? Is there some Mac development help that you could use? Many audiophiles use Macintoshes, and we’d like to see a cross-platform solution.

@ Roverone,

I guess we can try again to explain a bit more in details what's going on here as I guess our previous post didn't get understood clearly.
- OpenDRC has been working with Mac from day one, you're entirely correct. :-)
- Dirac Live has been working under Mac but note that our version is a customized version (i.e. to be able to correctly generate only for miniDSP products) and therefore need a separate build. But besides that, it's indeed no hold up on this side, you're correct.
- BUT most important and which is a bit missed here is that you can not get a software to talk to a Hardware box without a "driver". In our case, for Win platforms, we call that a DLL. That DLL is "not" trivial (not sure how much we can emphasize that... :-). To be able to get Mac support has nothing to do with an OpenDRC environment since the software is "Dirac based" and "must" use the custom DLL (lib under Mac) to be able to communicate to the box and correctly load measurements to the box. That's the work that is taking our team some time (in between other projects) and indeed is a "start" from scratch for most communication functions.

Anyway, all this to explain a bit more that if it were a 5min job, we would have done it. We're working at it, we "DO" realize the importance of Mac, it's just taking time.. That's all.. :-)

Thanks again to all of you for you patience, and asap we have more news (e.g. Beta driver/software), we'll make sure to let you guys know so we can enhance the product.

Sounds good?

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rpl77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No OSX compatibility for 22A/22D? 8 years 4 months ago #14935

• roverone
  • Thank you received: 0
I appreciate the more detailed information. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help with the coding.

It seems as though you must have the lowest-level driver functions, or OpenDRC would not work (and it seems like, since it is a firmware upgrade from an OpenDRC -> Dirac, the hardware is very similar), so this must be about interfacing the Dirac software at some layer.

Let me know well enough in advance that I could help test, and I will will order the hardware and just let it sit in the box until you have a beta.

thanks

No OSX compatibility for 22A/22D? 8 years 4 months ago #14969

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ Roverone,

Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately we do have to start from scratch since it's a completely different firmware/software structure between these 2 on the bitwise communication. It's even a different language that we're supposed to use. Anyway, without going through too much details, it's not plug&play.. :-)

Will keep the community updated as we already promised and thanks to all of you for your patience and keeping us motivated to push the platform. :-)

DevTeam
The following user(s) said Thank You: rpl77

Re:No OSX compatibility for 22A/22D? 8 years 2 weeks ago #16627

• Champster
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi devteam,

Sorry to beat a topic to death but do you have an update since you're last post in July?
TIA for all your hard work on this project!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:No OSX compatibility for 22A/22D? 7 years 4 months ago #20525

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Great News! The Dirac Live for Mac is now available to the user downloads. Check out here for more info. :-)
www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-suppo...-now-available#20522
The following user(s) said Thank You: DS21

• Page:
Moderators: devteam