Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 4 days ago #59907

• gray
  • Thank you received: 2
I am! All is as it should be. Or at least I think it is. Don't really know what I'm doing, but managed to get all 9 measurements and move onto the curve designer section. Tried to integrate a sub, but it didn't show it separately, so I many need to do some more research to see how that is supposed to work...

Initial impression was that it felt a little 'closed in'. I probably made it worse, rather than better, so have my homework to do now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 4 days ago #59908

• CarlosdelJunco
  • CarlosdelJunco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Good to hear. DL can be a shock at first as things sound so different. Having some acoustic treatment in the room can help as well get better results. I kind of went to town on building my own sound panels and getting the SHD to do room EQ correction was the last step.

What is the equipment you are using and the routing? I was doing everything "backwards" (well, I was doing digital to analogue, back to digital and back to analogue before I found out how to route equipment properly with the SHD) in the beginning and looking forward to re-measuring with DL when I get around to it.

It's a good idea to do some time alignment first with REW for your mains and sub(s). There is a bit of a learning curve with REW, but it's worth taking the time to watch a couple youtube videos to do so. I'd share some links but unable to!

There are youtube videos out there that help you get set up with REW (for Mac)...it took me quite a while and a few tests before I knew what I was doing

Also check out the various Application links and resources on miniDSP site. this link is a good start: 

The page title is: Subwoofer Integration with the miniDSP SHD and REW
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gray

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 3 days ago #59914

• gray
Thank you Carlos. I'm going from a mac mini to the shd for my source. I'm using a mixture of volumio, plex and apple music. I will probably get a subscription to Qobuz when I get my act together. The shd is hard wired to Dynaudio Focus 30xd, so digital from the mac to the speakers. The analogue xlr out to the Arendal 1753 v1 subwoofer. OCD Hi-Fi Guy on Youtube has an interesting perspective on dedicated server/players. So I'm probably going to stick with my mac mini M1 as a source.

I don't have a dedicated room, so room treatments are not really a possibility. 

Thanks for the pointers - I will be pouring over the manual a start! 

Last edit: by gray.

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 3 days ago #59915

• CarlosdelJunco
That sounds like some nice gear and a straight forward set up you have. Yes, both the miniDSP manuals: for the SHD and DiracLive will get you going. I downloaded the manuals, read thru each of them and colour highlighting text in Mac's Preview app for the more important things to remember. Lots to digest. And again take advantage of the "Applications" numerous links on the miniDSP site.

Taking the time to learn how to use REW takes a bit of time, but try looking up on Youtube. "MAC Taking measurements with REW". Or for Windows for that matter as most users of REW seem to be Windows platform. Some pretty thorough videos on step by step set up initial REW set up. Worth taking the time to do so. Nothing like just diving in and learning by your mistakes. Then things start to click as you start taking measurements.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gray

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 2 days ago #59944

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1425
Dear All

Thanks for your patience on this issue. We've indeed tracked the problem to a new rule put in place by OSx latest build for microphone access. They keep changing these access... God knows why but it certainly doesn't make our life easier to change access like this.. Anyway, we've nailed the issue and it's now solved for all OSx build for DDRC-24/SHD/Flex/DDRC-88A. All latest builds are now available under user downloads. 
a) Go to user downloads section
b) Grab the latest build and install it. 
c) You should now be all set for tuning with Dirac live 

NOTE: This update only applies to OSx. No need to update if you're Windows.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ultrasonic

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 2 days ago #59967

• gray
There is a bug fix for Monterey for download. Hope it works for others.

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 8 months 2 days ago #59972

• CarlosdelJunco
Yup, it's "official" now and available to all Monterey Mac users in their "User Downloads" under your name in the upper right hand corner once you are logged in. 

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 1 week ago #60288

• pencoat
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, I have the same issue on Windows 11 with a brand new DDRC 88A and UMIK-1 ( had  a 4x10 HD since 2013 that just blew up, and a stand alone licence from Dirac on a mini Mac) 
I have a simple configuration, a stereo 3 ways multi amplified. What ever the setup I have with the Master volume and mic input, I have that message signal to noise ratio too low… It’s very annoying… any help welcome 🙏🏻 

thx!

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 1 week ago #60289

• cardel17
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi pencoat,

You'll have to contact tech support on that one as this issue had been mainly a Mac Monterey OS issue (I'm pretty sure) that apparently has been fixed with an minDSP update, although I haven't had time to run new tests with Dirac Live in the last weeks using the new update. Hoping to get to it soon. Best of luck!

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 1 week ago #60293

• pencoat
Thx, I just open a ticket

Pencoat

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 1 week ago #60295

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1425

Well, I have the same issue on Windows 11 with a brand new DDRC 88A and UMIK-1 ( had  a 4x10 HD since 2013 that just blew up, and a stand alone licence from Dirac on a mini Mac) 
I have a simple configuration, a stereo 3 ways multi amplified. What ever the setup I have with the Master volume and mic input, I have that message signal to noise ratio too low… It’s very annoying… any help welcome 🙏🏻 

thx!

We could be wrong but don't think it's the same bug at all. I think that you're most likely missing a step of the Dirac Live setup, i.e. p9 of the Dirac live manual  which is also STEP#5 of this app note. www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-cro...akers-with-ddrc-88bm

You must correctly configure your channel config AND matrixing. 

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 1 week ago #60309

• pencoat
You're totally right, the error was on my side, thank you

Pencoat

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 5 days ago #60364

• techForum
  • Thank you received: 0
In the list, why not DDRC-22D ?

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 2 days ago #60414

• bbsrta407
Anyone with a DDRC-22D and the same issue ?
I also opened a ticket at Dirac:Greetings,
I'm in a conversation with MiniDSP for troubleshooting but nothing so far. MiniDSP DDRC-22D works; I open Dirac from the DDRC utility panel: it opens. I cannot obtain any level from the UM1K though. Please see screenshots following their time stamps.
I do get to allow connections to Dirac Live but dialing the Security settings (microphone), Dirac Live does not appears in the list (REW does show up there) and there's no +- sign to add Dirac !
Thanks in advance for any advice !

Dirac Live volume calibration not working properly? 7 months 2 days ago #60416

• cardel17
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry I'm not able to help bbstra407. Did you try the suggestion by the development team 5 days ago in this thread?

Moderators: devteam