Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57097

• bodiebill
  • bodiebill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Indeed -- as mentioned earlier in this thread.
It is give and take...
However I prefer the sound with speaker level inputs even if this limits me to the sub xovers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57098

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Hi,
fair enough I missed that earlier but still I can’t imagine two subs integrated through a miniDSP with first MSO (which will select the best crossover point and come up with some crazy sub delays to get the best integration and give you all the biquads) then Dirac, being bettered by subs fed off the amp’s high level output. That’s how I first started because I was using an integrated and couldn’t control volume on the subs otherwise, but then I used the theatre pass through to bypass the pre-amp section and now with power amps fed directly by the miniDSP, the above method gives seriously impressive, tight, smooth bass,

Edit: sorry being slow today - realised after reading first post again you have the studio so can't do the above without something else in the chain. 

Last edit: by asx77.

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57100

• bodiebill
Thanks. On paper the setup with the 4 speakers separated for MiniDSP and Dirac indeed looks much better. And apparently also in practice in your setup.
I think I will try it again...
In that case would you also sum the subs? By using a Y splitter on the RCA cables?

Can you explain why you think this will not be possible with the SHD Studio? Don't its four (two stereo pairs) connections suffice?

I did not know about MSO yet, but will look into it...

P S Ah, no I am slow :-) You mean because with the SHD I would need two external DACs?

Last edit: by bodiebill.

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57103

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
We're talking about 2 subs yes?

I don't have the studio but assuming it has 4 outputs in total. 

From your studio I think you'll need two stereo DACs. One for L & R and the other for the sub 1 & sub 2

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57106

• bodiebill
Correct, MiniDSP SHD Studio (digital only) with 2 subs.
I now have a Musician Pegasus DAC, and a Musician Aquarius DAC is on order.
When the latter has arrived I could try this setup. Although it would be a bit decadent to continue to use the Pegasus only for the subs :-)

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57109

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 277
The key reason for it being best to use a mono-subwoofer signal is that the result is independent of where bass frequencies are panned in the mix. This means that the frequecy response at the listening position doesn't vary with how bass is split between left and right in recordings, and  meaning that workload is consistantly shared across the two subs (maximising headroom/minimising distortion). There is no upside to not doing this as far as I'm concerned, unless subwoofers are run to such high frequencies that the sound becomve localisable.

Condisder buying a cheap DAC just for a sub if you don't want to keep using an expensive one.

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 2 months 1 week ago #57110

• bodiebill
Makes sense.
I already compared 2 setups with one sub: one with high level inputs directly from the amp and one with low level inputs from another extra DAC -- all other parameters remaining the same.
The former sounded better to my ears: more organic and coherent. How did others experience this?
In any case I will again try all 4 setups (high vs low level inputs / subs configured stereo vs mono) using MSO when the 2nd sub has arrrived.

Last edit: by bodiebill.

Stereo balance off after applying Dirac 4 weeks 1 day ago #57553

• bodiebill
Having again 2 subs available, I meticulously placed my main speakers (using the Sumiko method) to optimize their bass response and to lock in the image, then added the 2 subs, experimenting with various positions. They ended up right next to each main speaker. Then I compared low level input to the subs, mono and stereo, using an extra DAC, versus high level input from the power amp's speaker posts to the subs. Again the sound was much more organic, realistic and in some way even better integrated in terms of sonority with the high level inputs. I rolled them off at 50 Hz (as recommended for my TAD ME1 speakers) and applied Dirac, which treated each sub as integrated with the respective speaker. I know this is not by the book, and that I am missing out on fine-tuning using a high pass filter on the speakers (which are listed to go down to 36 Hz) but this way I get the best result for my ears.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam