Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31023

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1588
I suggest raising a support ticket for your specific unit?
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by john.reekie.

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31026

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 48
If this has been going on for 18 months, you certainly have more patience than I would have.

Given the number of units of the 88A that are out there, and given the small number of owners reporting this issue, I doubt it is a firmware issue. I am probably running the same FW as you are, and I never hear any popping noises.

If I were trouble-shooting the issue, I would do two things. First, I would re-flash the firmware to rule out the possibility that you have a bad flash. While unlikely, it can't hurt. Make absolutely sure you have the latest FW and software versions from the downloads area. Second, I would re-inspect the wiring connections, especially if you are using balanced/Phoenix connectors. Early on, I had a popping sound issue that completely went away after I inspected and re-tightened the Phoenix connections.

If neither of these actions eliminate the problem, I would suspect a hardware issue and follows John's advice of opening a case with MiniDSP Support. Good luck.

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31031

• rts100x5
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 38
My popping sounds have returned again but now has a level of hum that can clearly be heard... Just to be sure I inspected the phoenix wiring today... it all good..

Given that many of the reported clients are using RCA connections , this eliminated that as a possibility...

You are correct this is a hardware issue... I will apply today for a replacement...

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31054

• Jeez
  • Thank you received: 0
In the past i observe the same problem. The popping sound on various channels.
This bug appears sometimes when i powered my DDRC on ( without signal).
Pulling the plug and connecting power again helps.

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31056

• rts100x5
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

In the past i observe the same problem. The popping sound on various channels.
This bug appears sometimes when i powered my DDRC on ( without signal).
Pulling the plug and connecting power again helps.

THe problem was my brand new $700 CLARO HALO XT sound card ... given that it was less than 4 months old, I had no reason to suspect it...
I only discovered it was at fault by switching over to my HDMI driver in my sound properties WIN 7...

Now I have to apply for an RMA for my sound card ....

But DIRAC sound is now problem free and sounds amazing - just not as amazing as my analog sound card when its working properly ....

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31059

• Delmouly
  • Thank you received: 0
My setup is analog in analog out so no USB or driver involved AFAIK. So it must be the DDRC.
Sonos -> Dacmagic-> NAD T175-> DDRC-88A-> CROWN Microtech 1202 -> B&W N803 + CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 540R->B&W center, surr and rears.

Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31060

• rts100x5
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

My setup is analog in analog out so no USB or driver involved AFAIK. So it must be the DDRC.

Well Im referring to the USB driver that connects your PC to DDRC88 software -

I run my PC for my main source using JRIVER Media Player - so Im running the DDRC software and playing my music - this way I can make adjustments with the 88 software on the fly...

Either way it turned out to be my sound-card, not the DIRAC unit, is malfunctioning and I have sent it off for RMA

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31098

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 57

Believe me when I say we have kicked this horse (problem) until we were bleeding. Not everyone has experienced this issue ... Its a HUGE downside to this processor - but alot of progress has been made towards fixing it... Many of us have been accused (for lack of a better term) of incorrectly setting up the measurement sequence - which leads to some type of clipping distortion(popping sounds)

All I can say from my experience is that your going to have to be extremely precise in how you setup and take your measurements...

Im still experiencing popping from time to time but it comes and goes,,,, When it goes its the BEST sound Ive ever heard ...The other night I tried a new measurement because I added new curtains to my room ... Following what i thought to be a very precise protocol for setup and measurement.... after 2 months of pop free sound - the new measurement was FULL of the sort of crackling sound you and several others describe - SO it's not just you ...

I quickly returned to my previous setup file (saved in Windows) and Im back to normal...such as it is

One thing I strongly disagree with (causality) and DEV TEAM cannot explain is WHY the crackling continues to happen even without a signal playing.... Common sense says signal clipping = distortion popping sounds - No signal popping sounds should stop - this is not the case...
Crackling sounds continue even when music is off....

Some setup tips to try and get you going - Some of these are obviously my own guess work but may help ....

1. Try a different USB port to connect your unit to,,,, my own suspicions are that the USB communication signal is introducing this distortion - I have not done any extensive testing to confirm this theory but Im very intuitive with trouble shooting electronics and I think the USB communication driver may be an issue....
2. Your initial MIC / GAIN setting may be suspect - the recommended setting is just under -24db . I have noticed that lowering this to about -30db greatly reduces your probablility of having the popping sounds.... Watch the signal meter as your setting this MIC GAIN ... I noticed mine peaking above -24db so i lowered it to -30...
3. In the individual channel settings with Pink noise , you must also be careful to not set these too high especially the LFE or Subwoofer channel 3 ....try setting them just up to the green part of the scale ...

So try these lower settings to begin with.... DEV TEAM has a DLL file they can send you which may help as well....

You may be asked to provide your config files to DEV TEAM...

Please keep us informed as to the progress of your issue and anything that specifically seems to cause or helps resolve this issue

Thanks....

DEV TEAM - I randomly read reviews of the DDRC88 and found this article which is obviously related - Again I disagree that this is entirely a setup / configuration issue....

Emotiva XMC-1 7.2-Channel AV Pre/Pro Reviewed - "The Downside
I think I've already covered most of the concerns that buyers might have about the XMC-1. There were a few other little ones (a few pops here and there, especially when starting SACDs), but a pre-release copy of the upcoming firmware for the XMC-1 nipped those few concerns in the bud."

I too have some popping and crackles with a DDRC22DI

And I completely agree somehow it's USB related. I have been pop free for a week than it's back. Here's what I have noticed
One time I was in middle of measurements and often during a measurement I get nasty poping through the system. It always crackles during measurements way worce than the random pops while listening.

Once it was poping pretty bad during a measurement and I just touched the USB cable and all poping went away immediately.

I thought that was peculiar. I leave my USB cable plugged in all the time. I wonder if we try un-plugging the USB cable if that changes anything during use.

Also I wonder if it's worce the input attenuation is high vs low.

It's PoE isn't it in a sence doesn't the USB cable have the ability to power the unit? If so wouldn't the ground shield on USB cable act as an antenna to disturbance or something while simultaneously being powered by the 5v supply. If there's no isolation between that power supply and when you plug into a laptop on battery or a different power source couldn't that cause a ground loop or act as an antenna to the other power source

Maybe we should try using power over USB to power the unit vs the wall wart (or for me a 5v converter that's home made for car use)

Andrew

Last edit: by denver8me4dinner.

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31099

• rts100x5
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks for the reply,

My main problem turned out to be my brand new $700 sound card... My PC with that sound card is also host PC to my DDRC88 BM....

Since I switched over to a HDMI sound driver (was using analog 7.1) the popping issue has gone away 99% . Last night I heard one pop here and one pop there over a 2 hr period.... I don't know what the main issue is... This is something that has been an issue with certain board revisions ?? I dont know what the common denominator is - other than most of us have made measurements with the Mic / Gain too high but I am very careful not to do this recently....My feeling is the Dirac Processing chip is overloading with data...
Mine is much better now but if the random popping continues I will have to send it in for warranty repair...

Last edit: by rts100x5.

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 6 months ago #31101

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks for the reply,

My main problem turned out to be my brand new $700 sound card... My PC with that sound card is also host PC to my DDRC88 BM....

Since I switched over to a HDMI sound driver (was using analog 7.1) the popping issue has gone away 99% . Last night I heard one pop here and one pop there over a 2 hr period.... I don't know what the main issue is... This is something that has been an issue with certain board revisions ?? I dont know what the common denominator is - other than most of us have made measurements with the Mic / Gain too high but I am very careful not to do this recently....My feeling is the Dirac Processing chip is overloading with data...
Mine is much better now but if the random popping continues I will have to send it in for warranty repair...

Yeah.....maybe....
I get pops over toslink .
I just put a really nice set of cables in to no avail .
I definitely pops much much worce during measurements over usb .

Yeah I try to get the loudest possible measurements before clipping. That way Dirac can actually see the combfilters and reflections at there worst and the speakers have "got going" a little bit.

It comes and goes ......do wish I could get cleaner measurements tho without pops

Andrew

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 5 months ago #31252

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Popping is back now that is warmer outside
I listening room Is a car

The popping to me sounds like vinyl records kind of have a snap crackle pop in the background Except a heck of a lot louder

Tried unplugging things Plugging back in etc
Nothing

It's really annoying and I'm worried it's going to damage my compression drivers

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 5 months ago #31285

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1288
@ denver8me4dinner

Why not start a tech support ticket with our team (the official way for us to get involved and help.. :-)
We'll need your project and the way you did your measurement. The way pop noise in the Dirac Live can happen is most likely related to overdriving or the way the filter was built (i.e. UMIK-1 recording level) .Once you start your tech support ticket, we can take it from there.

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 5 months ago #31303

• rts100x5
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
My unit has started popping with other sources - I thought it was just my sound card in my computer - now its my cable set top box as well -

This is really pissing me off.

I have started a support ticket... this unit is obviously defective

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 5 months ago #31335

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

@ denver8me4dinner

Why not start a tech support ticket with our team (the official way for us to get involved and help.. :-)
We'll need your project and the way you did your measurement. The way pop noise in the Dirac Live can happen is most likely related to overdriving or the way the filter was built (i.e. UMIK-1 recording level) .Once you start your tech support ticket, we can take it from there.

Devteam

Thanks DevTeam,

I'm in the middle of moving to another city as soon as we get moved I'll do a ticket.
Probably another week or so.

What's weird is Dirac won't let it go into clipping, it stops the measurements if any clipping is detected. Mic gain is under 0 and not boosted and speaker gain at-35db . So that just doesn't make sence . But maybe there's something I don't know. It comes and goes across all sources and it's at it's worst when taking measurements.

Anyway I'll start a ticket soon

Andrew

Re:Dirac 88a popping 4 years 4 months ago #31717

• rts100x5
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

@ denver8me4dinner

Devteam

Thanks DevTeam,

I'm in the middle of moving to another city as soon as we get moved I'll do a ticket.
Probably another week or so.

What's weird is Dirac won't let it go into clipping, it stops the measurements if any clipping is detected. Mic gain is under 0 and not boosted and speaker gain at-35db . So that just doesn't make sence . But maybe there's something I don't know. It comes and goes across all sources and it's at it's worst when taking measurements.

Anyway I'll start a ticket soon

Andrew

Have you been able to find a fix yet - obviously Tech support has no clue why this is happening with those of us having this issue.... Obviously it is not a signal clipping , as you have pointed out - the DLCT stops measuring if clipping is detected... Unplugging my unit helps for a while until I try to take new measurements - then it 's really bad and had to unplug the unit for an hour to make it stop... They want me to send my unit back to HK (about $100) at my expense !! total bullshit considering I spent $1100 on this unit .... I own a Audio/Video company and absolutely no other company I buy equipment from requires me to pay return shipping if there is a problem with new equipment ... If my Dirac unit was more than a year old I would understand this policy.... Absolutely unacceptable...
Again it's very disturbing that as many people are reporting this issue - they have absolutely no idea why this is happening.... they try to blame the customer for improper setup or just plain stalling trying to get information from the customer....

• Page:
Moderators: devteam