Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How change firmware on USBStreamer kit ? 9 months 1 week ago #60287

• mamba76
  • mamba76's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
This thread could be really useful for anyone wanting to change the firmware of their USBStreamer kit / box.

See below for solution.

I don't think Im thick but Im sure this procedure could be made less painful and also stop people bricking their new devices thus giving the admin staff more grief as they are clearly over welmed with customer problems. So please could someone post the procedure including links to update the firmware of the USBStreamer from a more dummy point of view. Think of it as helping the poor over worked admin staff, and the people who sunk their wages into MiniDSP's products.

My personal request is quite a simple one. I want to use the Toslink output to feed an audio signal to my MiniDSP2x4HD. 
I selected Toslink as the input source for the 2x4HD and no sound comes out. I switch back to USB (old setup) and I have sound. Obviously this needs the firmware changing or I have been shipped an electronic paper weight.

So can I find a relevent and simple procedure (remember we are working with Windows here) to follow. Answer NO.
Forgive me for being facetious but I love the miniDSP products but Im frustrated in every other aspect of the company.
Admin if you reading this and want some HONEST advice as an intermediate knowledged consumer of your products, give me a shout, please!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mamba76.

How change firmware on USBStreamer kit ? 9 months 1 week ago #60291

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Success!
As I suspected the firmware did need changing. 
For my use I am streaming usb audio from a tablet to my 2x4HD. I opted to do it this way as the direct USB connection was picking up EMF also I am now or will be soon streaming to two 2x4HDs and splitting a USB stream is apparently problematic.
So for this to work I needed the USBStreamer to convert to S/pdif optical toslink and this was not the default it shipped out as (I would have used this as default as from someone with respectivley low experience like new customers, arguably this would be seen as the most obvious use case. If you were experienced then you'd have no problem anyway?)

So, How do you change the firmware ?
Well you need the software utility to change the firmware and the appropriate firmware file itself. If you go to 'user downloads' and follow the links for USBStreamer (if you can't see it anywhere it may be because you need a special coupon. Contact support for this). You should come to this page - www.minidsp.com/userdownloads/usb-audio-.../usbstreamer-drivers
Heed the red writing then click the big download to get the zip.
Explore the folders here till you find something that says 'firmware_upgrade_tools. (this folder name is the same for many other minidsp products you may already own so I would rename the parent directory to USBStreamer at the earliest opportunity)
Choose your platform and look for the .exe file which is prefixed with a reall unhelpful, similar to many others, giberish type of name like - 'miniDSPUAC2Dfu' (wonder what the fu stands for, hah!?)  Well this is the software tool you'll need.
You should have noticed the other folders  'I2S_TOSLINK'  , ''LowSampleRate' , 'Stereo' , 'TDM' and 'UDAC8'. The firmware file you need is in one of these just choose the one you need. 
For my case its in the Stereo folder (nope not the one labled i2s_toslink!) that for pro sh!t.

Basically run the software tool then browse to the firmware file and your done.
Its a simple process just the information is made difficult to find on the website and forums and the excess of folders in the downloads can be confusing in a Windows env. if you have similar downloads and other miniDSP products.
A quick guide or even a wiki page would be SUPER HELPFUL for miniDSP. I can only imagine how drastically consumer problems would be reduced by this, surely a good thing, no ?
My streamer did come in a box with a bit of useless toilet paper. Top tip, write a quick guide on it! At least a link to the firmware download page, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. etc.........
Peace.

How change firmware on USBStreamer kit ? 9 months 1 week ago #60296

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
We do have a great user manual to get started. :-) 
www.minidsp.com/images/documents/USBStreamer%20Manual.pdf

We do explain everything step by step on how to a)upgrade firmware b)which firmware does what.. That's typically the starting point for all our customers to get started. :-) 
please make sure to go through it. 
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

How change firmware on USBStreamer kit ? 9 months 1 week ago #60331

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
A quick guide would still be useful and improve first time customer experience as it seems to me MiniDSP target the very technical and the not so technical. It would stop some newbies bricking their device and that can only be a good thing for everyone?

• Page:
Moderators: devteam