Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: 5V external power option ?

5V external power option ? 1 month 1 week ago #53284

• Matt70
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,

I have a question about upgrading from the mini streamer to the USB streamer.
I want to try using a linear PS for the unit but the setup / configuration is unclear to me.
For instance, the mini streamer documents direct you to remove a jumper to "disconnect"
the USB power before using an external supply, correct ?

The brief documentation for the USB streamer just has you connect an external 5 v to pin 12 of J2.
What GND pin or does it matter ?

Why is there no reference to removing the USB power connection ? Or is this somehow accomplished with the "diode-or" reference ?
Wouldn't this just add a parallel external power on top of the USB connection and defeat the purpose
of the linear external power supply ?

If anyone has done the upgrade can you let me know how to proceed and maybe clarify how the 2 power sources should be separated ?
I can't get my head around just leaving the USB power connection live and adding another one...

M

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Matt70.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

5V external power option ? 1 month 1 week ago #53313

• Juoigâ
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
usually all GND pins are connected. easy to check with a multimeter in resistance position

re the "diode-or"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-or_circuit

5V external power option ? 1 month 6 days ago #53319

• Matt70
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply !

I agree , Ground is "usually" common, Without a schematic for streamer I don't know .
Just checking with the forum if a specific gnd pin is for the 5v external power.

My plan is to run a always on dedicated 5V linear power supply for the usb streamer so I don't need or
want usb power.

Doesn't the "diode or" circuit just prevent feedback from one power supply to the other ?

Is this what they are referring to ? Just placing a diode in the 5V external connection ?
If so I'm also going to lose some Vdrop across the diode and not see the full 5 volt supply voltage ....
Maybe a schottky key diode as an option ? But as I said I don't want the USB power anyway .

Thoughts ?

Pins 1,3 & 11 of J2 are listed as gnd's

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 1 month 6 days ago by Matt70.

5V external power option ? 1 month 6 days ago #53342

• Juoigâ
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Matt70 wrote:
Doesn't the "diode or" circuit just prevent feedback from one power supply to the other ?
yes, that is my understanding also.
and my understanding of the part in the manual is that the diode or circuit is already in the pcb
with no further info we can only guess. best is to ask @devteam
Moderators: devteam