Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: MSB DAC compatibility

MSB DAC compatibility 8 months 6 days ago #47214

• Burge
  • Fresh Boarder
Need advice on a new purchase that I wish to make.
I have currently purchased a DDRC 24, Which I realise I cannot use since it only has an analog output. (ordered in too much of a hurry!)
To describe my audio system:
nucleus+ by Roon,
MSB DAC -select two, dual power supplies
Jeff Rowland monoblock amplifiers
vivid spirit 2 speakers.
The MSB DAC has an USB input which is the preferred way, that I would like to use. It also has a high-quality renderer (ethernet connector).
If I wish to use the Dirac room correction system, which MINIDSP unit would be the appropriate one to connect with my MSB DAC?
Anyone had any experience with the MSB dacs?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MSB DAC compatibility 5 months 1 week ago #49344

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi. I have an MSB DAC as well. Unfortunately the only format that you can use into the DAC is an SPDIF based one. Something like the DDRC-22RD, OpenDRC-DI, nanoDIGI, or SHD studio will output in coaxial SPDIF which you can connect to the coax in on your DAC. Note however, that ALL of them will resample to the one internal sample rate (usually 96) and that is what will be fed to your DAC. Given that non-integer resampling is a lossy process, and you have a rather expensive MSB DAC, I suspect you will not be satisfied with the quality loss incurred when converting 44 or 176 digital audio to 96. There is precious little hardware that does DSP at the native sample rate and the miniDSP hardware offerings all assume that resampling is perfectly fine and don't cater to the high end market.

MSB DAC compatibility 5 months 1 week ago #49351

Thanks for your response. In that case would it be preferable to use a standalone Dirac 3.0 software only ,on a computer, out put to the pro usb input of the select 2 DAC? That could be the best SQ?
Moderators: devteam