Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: USB Streamer / Stereo / Apple IOS Sync

USB Streamer / Stereo / Apple IOS Sync 6 months 2 days ago #47201

• Harcher
  • Fresh Boarder
What is the most compatible clocking setup for using the USB Streamer and Stereo firmware with Apple iPhones and iPads?

My application takes fiber optic TOSLINK S/PDIF output from an RME-Audio UFX II, runs that through the USB streamer, and feeds the resulting USB interface to an iPhone or iPad through the latest Apple Camera Connection kit. Within the iPhone or iPad, I'm running a Facebook streaming application which really needs the high-quality audio.

The signal chain seemed to work for a few seconds but then died, with the channels then appearing as if they were muted. Careful attempts to recreate the successful run failed. Feels like synchronization to me.

There is an interesting note in the firmware "readme" suggesting that the latest Apple IOS updates attempt to remember the last successful clocking, which leads me to wonder if I have a subtle interdependence issue as well.... meaning that the successful clocking run is now saved and anything that is different from that is immediately ignored...?

1) Regardless of audio quality, for the sake of USB Streamer syncing or stability, does it matter whether I select 41.8 ksps or 48 ksps?
2) Within the USB Streamer - Do you recommend "Internal" or "External" clocking?
3) If I specify "External," does the USB Streamer attempt to synchronize to the USB audio stream or the TOSLINK stream? (If it is the USB stream, then I probably should run a return TOSLINK signal back to a spare RME-UFX optical input port and sync the UFX clock to that input.)
4) On the UFX II output feeding the USB Streamer, do you recommend "Professional" or "Commercial" encoding of the bits?
5) Anyone have any ideas on how to get Apple IOS to forget a prior setup and look at the USB Streaming input as something new?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam