Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: USB-Streamer for Yamaha 01V96

USB-Streamer for Yamaha 01V96 10 months 2 weeks ago #45503

• thor.zmt
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I bought a 01V96 mistakenly advertised as 0.1V96i, meaning it would have a 96/24 USB Audio Interface.

Before I go through the hassle of sending it back, finding another "i" etc, I think I could easily hack the unit via the expansion card slot.

That is IF (big if) I can have an interface that can accept external MCK and BCK/LRCK (slave mode) and suitable pin indication of the sample rate...

I know enough of XMOS that I know it is possible to program this, but would there be a willingness to provide such a firmware? If so, I would document the upgrade/integration so there may be subsequent sales due to this firmware availability.

Thor
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USB-Streamer for Yamaha 01V96 10 months 1 week ago #45557

• thor.zmt
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, made some progress looking through things. Using the slot directly is probably a no-no, cards seem to handshake with the mixer in software, or it's disabled. :(

Will experiment more though. B)

On the other hand the AD/DA section is fairly easily "decoupled" from the rest of the digital mixer. We can send our own clocks to the AD/DA section so the USBStreamer/MCHStreamer CAN be clock master. B)

Someone at Yamaha conveniently provided 3-state buffers to the DAC data and clocks, three-state the buffers with a "DAW-IF mode" switch and we have 16 A/D and 8D/A running on the USB Streamer clocks (shame we only have 8 Upstream audio lanes - wastes 8 channels of perfectly decent AD). Probably needs three-state buffers on the USB Streamer side, it's a lot of clock inputs to drive and we need to three-state these bits too if we return the mixer to normal operation. :woohoo:

To still use the metering etc. functionality of the Mixer we can use wordclock sync, from the USB Streamer, to sync all the rest, just need to select the right clock source. It may even be possible to go up to 176/192k recording in DAW mode, not sure how the rest of the DSP would react, so this might be "DAW mode only". The whole hardware remote surface for the DAW (including flying faders) should still work though. :woohoo:

Only remaining issue, the DAC/ADC IC's need to know if we do 1X/2X (/4X) speed and need pin's pulled. :blink:

Inconveniently there are no frequency indication pins on the either Streamer. :S :oops:

If MiniDsp releases me the source code, I can add them myself, but I suspect they will not do so. Others have asked for speed indicators as well, MiniDsp are you listening? :dry:

USB-Streamer for Yamaha 01V96 9 months 2 weeks ago #45802

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
@thor.zmt

Sounds like a bit more than a simple lego job here based from experience.. ;-)
Our implementation doesn't run as Slave on our configuration (only master) so it won't work with a USBStreamer. We also don't release source code for any of our products so it won't be able possible to edit a custom build I'm afraid...

Best that you look for an XMOS eval kit for your project or maybe Yamaha selling a card for this feature. That would be a better fit I think.

devTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

USB-Streamer for Yamaha 01V96 9 months 2 weeks ago #45897

• thor.zmt
  • Fresh Boarder
Yamaha do sell a number of cards, very expensive and nothing that links to USB.

Yes, I could get a XMOS MCH Kit, but it is large PCB with much stuff I don't need, I might be better off to make a whole new XMOS Module for the Job, but Minidsp already make something that does 95% of the Job. IF Minidsp could include a slave mode Firmware it would perfect.

Heck, I'd be up to sign an NDA and develop the software for my own use and make the binary freely available.

For now I will get a MCStreamer and use ADAT SMUX for 96kHz.

I intend to do a full rebuild of the console, including ungraded AD & DA Chips improved SNR circuitry for line/mic inputs etc. I will then also include the new "DAW Mode" patch system, which I will design PCB's for, for the MUX/Buffering/patching.

As the Console will sync onto an external wordclock it is east to link this internal with the wordclock from the MCStreamer, so clocks should be fairly well sync'ed.

It will be comparably easy for DA, we can just decouple the DA section completely from the desk and switch it ot the MCStreamers 8 Channels out and clocks.

AD will be a bit more challenging, but at the worst we use the Desk's wordclock sync to make sure clocks are correctly aligned, but running the AD's as well on the MCStreamer clocks should be fine, as 96kHz is not very demanding on timing.

After the re-build the Console should have 120dB SNR Line In and Line Out with vanishingly low distortion, a major upgrade from what Yamaha did originally. The Mic Pre will also get lower noise transistors to get > 120dB SNR on an 0.64V full scale signal (130dB SPL at a 10mV/Pa sensitive Microphone) is not that challenging (only -124dBV) .

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thor
Moderators: devteam