Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: DAC I2S quick test with USBStreamerKit

DAC I2S quick test with USBStreamerKit 2 years 7 months ago #37339

Hi,
I'm trying to make a quick test of the I2S lines (with just one DATA) on a PhatDAC
To do this, I need to have a 5V DC to provide Power to the PhatDAC.
Given the pinout the GND for the 3V3 I2S levels is the same as the one to power it.

So my question is how should I power the USBStreamerKit?
- Pin 12 on J2 to External Power 5V and Pin 11 on J2 to External Power GND? Is it decoupled from USB GND? I guess both are decoupled from USB VBUS and Ground?
- is Pin 11 on J1 the same GND as Pin 11 on J2?
- or should I use a power supply with a floating GND?

Thanks,

Raphael
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DAC I2S quick test with USBStreamerKit 2 years 6 months ago #37400

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1172
@ Raphael
You can't power your DAC from the USBStreamer. It's only meant for external power supply (to provide DC to the USBStreamer). Not the other way around.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

DAC I2S quick test with USBStreamerKit 2 years 6 months ago #37416

You can't power your DAC from the USBStreamer. It's only meant for external power supply (to provide DC to the USBStreamer). Not the other way around.

I'm not saying I'm trying to power my DAC with the USBStreamerKit, but how I should power the USBStreamerKit, so as you said to provide DC to the USBStreamer :
- Pin 12 on J2 to External Power 5V and Pin 11 on J2 to External Power GND? Is it decoupled from USB GND? I guess both are decoupled from USB VBUS and Ground?
- is Pin 11 on J1 the same GND as Pin 11 on J2?
- or should I use a power supply with a floating GND?

Thanks,

Raphael

DAC I2S quick test with USBStreamerKit 2 years 6 months ago #37474

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1172
@ Raphael

With regard to powering I guess got us completely confused and indeed implying that you wanted to power your DAC with the 5V.
"I need to have a 5V DC to provide Power to the PhatDAC."

- The USBStreamer is "USB Self powered", i.e. it does "not" need an external power supply to work. If you do, you can follow the user manual for the pin out to connect that external supply for the 5V but in 99% of cases, customers simply use self power.
- Yes, same ground for all the GND pins.
- We can't recommend what you're planning to do for your grounding scheme. Before making something complex maybe start simple? i.e all same ground.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam