Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Spdif / optical volume control help ???

Spdif / optical volume control help ??? 2 years 5 months ago #36802

• mamba76
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all. Can someone please clarify whether volume can be controlled by the device when using either optical toslink or spdif digi coax to connect between your device and the DSP?
I have just bought an android 8 oreo pumpkin HU and the preouts are junk compared to my alpine so Im looking for a decent USBDAC to get the info out of the device and into my C-DSP6x8.
Iv often thought about digital connections but the volume control has been the only issue.
I emailed HifimeDIY about their devices and they said they can follow the devices volume but I didn't think this was possible because a digital signal can't be attenuated?
Of course then I remembered MiniDSP have their own solution in the USBStreamers (I forgot, no offense) )

Im aware the drivers on my device will need modifying. Extreame audio's USB Audio Player Pro is my best bet here:-
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co...sd.usbaudioplayerpro

Will I have to use my wired remote as master volume?
What happens if the device volume is a 0?

Thx
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Spdif / optical volume control help ??? 2 years 5 months ago #36832

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
@ mamba76

TRying to understand fully this question: "Can someone please clarify whether volume can be controlled by the device when using either optical toslink or spdif digi coax to connect between your device and the DSP"

By device, you mean your source (ie. HU) or the CDSP?
- The USBStreamer is a standard USB interface. It will be controllable within the OS volume control. Now what your specific HU does, that's unknown.. (so many android version out there).
- How/where do you control volume in your setup?

devTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Spdif / optical volume control help ??? 2 years 5 months ago #36839

• mamba76
  • Senior Boarder
Hi, yes I mean device as source / head unit.

So the mini streamer volume is controlled by the OS on my android source (or the 'volume knob') The mini streamers output is coax spdif which I thought just sends out bits / bytes or 1's and 0's same as optical. Are there extra bytes in the data stream that the DSP receives that tell it how loud the signal is?
I always heard that source units (like the earlier alpines that had optical out)couldn't control the volume at the source, or is this achievable specifically for MiniDSPs products?

Iv only ever used completely analogue / old school setups and controlled volume at the source. So source - rca - dsp - rca -amps.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by mamba76.

Spdif / optical volume control help ??? 2 years 5 months ago #36855

• mamba76
  • Senior Boarder
Well I hooked up my USB ministreamer to my PC and digi cable to my cdsp6x8 and everything is perfect! So nice to have a no noise pure signal. I swept some 0db test tones with PC at max volume all flat EQ and dsp the same with 0db unity gains in and out and the dsp output measured a perfect 2v throughout frequency range or hardly deviated. Above 10khz every head unit Iv measured (inc alpine) climbs above 10khz but is still not clipped. Same hear. So very happy with the streamer.

I have been planning to use a 2x4HD to connect in front of the cdsp6x8 as a sort of master eq for tweaking by ear, bit like a very good HU EQ. So one spdif input to the 2x4HD will give four outputs to my cdsp6x8 (main L&R, midbass & sub). Now I just realised the 2x4HD is also a streamer so happy days!

Now I just need an android head unit that can output all audio via USB without too many headaches. My Pumpkin I just bought and installed (PX5 / Oreo) cannot route any audio through USB at the moment according to members on XDA forums. (f'in great!) I will start another thread about that.

@ DEVTEAM
I know now that the streamer volume is controlled at source, don't know how but its all good!
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by mamba76.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
Moderators: devteam