Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33)

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 3 years 6 days ago #33718

• xi
  • Fresh Boarder
dear list,

i can't get my new USBStreamer b to run on my new iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33).
i use the official apple usb3 lightning adapter and power adapter that came with the ipad.
so there are no complains about power or incompatible devices.
the USBStreamers white LED is on but no red toslink light and it doesn't grab the audio.
the whole setup works with an iPad pro (2016, ios 10.33).

any idea how i can get this to run ?

thanks,

xi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34708

• freetomfr
  • Fresh Boarder
Same problem for me. It works with iphone 6 (IOS 11) and not with iphone 7 (IOS 11). I asked minidsp support but they don't care about. They told me to phone apple. Yes i'm gonna call Time cook to ask him why mini streamer doesn't work with an iphone. What a joke!

MiniDSP support team doesn't want to spend time to test this. Support for their product are very bad. I'am really disappointed.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34744

• inforlk
  • Fresh Boarder
It does not work for me in IOS 11 "New iPad Pro 10.5", nor in New Macbook Pro 2017, macMini with "High Sierra".
On the other hand, it works in another Old Macbook 2008 awith "El capitan".
I feel cheated with this product. In the specifications it says that Mac OS X 10.8 or greater is compatible. And I see that it is not like that.
I have already reported and it seems that I have not received any response yet. I hope it is solved with a frimware update

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34762

• freetomfr
  • Fresh Boarder
Don't expect them to do anything. There is no way to update the streamer (no firmware update possible) and they don't care that their product don't work. Technical support is in holyday for years.

Put the streamer in the bin and find another product from an other manufacturer. This one seems to be ok but I am not sure :

www.amazon.com/PHIREE-U2S-Converter-upgr...ersion/dp/B00OMP81JQ

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34763

• xi
  • Fresh Boarder
did you try to power the mini dsp through an powered usb hub ?
in my case i get an "not enough power" message with the standart camera adapter.
the powered camera adapter is missleading because it powers only the ipad but not he device.
so i get rid of that message but still ists not working.
but with an simple powered usb like 7port belkin the mini dsps works without problems.
i still use ios 10.33 but one friend reported it also runs on his ipad mini ios 11.
good luck.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34764

• xi
  • Fresh Boarder
freetomfr wrote:
Don't expect them to do anything. There is no way to update the streamer (no firmware update possible) and they don't care that their product don't work. Technical support is in holyday for years.

Put the streamer in the bin and find another product from an other manufacturer. This one seems to be ok but I am not sure :

www.amazon.com/PHIREE-U2S-Converter-upgr...ersion/dp/B00OMP81JQ

thats not adat !

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34765

• inforlk
  • Fresh Boarder
I've tried it with the official USB connector Apple adapter connected to the official charger. It turns on and it does not work. I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and an iPhone X, it does not work
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by inforlk.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34766

• xi
  • Fresh Boarder
did you read my post about the powered usb hub ?
minidsp->usb-hub(with external power)->camera adapter->ipad

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 10 months ago #34767

• inforlk
  • Fresh Boarder
xi wrote:
did you read my post about the powered usb hub ?
minidsp->usb-hub(with external power)->camera adapter->ipad
Yes, I also tried that with the same result.

I would like to know if someone works with new iPad Pro 10.5 or iPhone X???

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 9 months ago #35295

• Darius
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
here is my feedback on USB Streamer B connected to IPad Pro 9,7" running iOs 11.2.2.
First I want to say that I normally use a RME multi-channel audio card connected per USB to my Ipad, so I am very able to see if my Ipad "sees" a multi-channel audio card, or not.

I took the USB Streamer B out of the box. According to the manual it is configured to work in ADAT mode by default.

Test 1
I use the [Lightning auf USB Kamera-Adapter} from Apple which is connected directly to the [USB Streamer B] .
Result: the Ipad complains that the Streamer requires too much power.

Test 2
I use the same [Lightning auf USB Kamera-Adapter} from Apple, but this time I put a powered USB Hub between the Apple adapter and the [USB Streamer B] .
Result: No error on the Ipad as I connect the Streamer. The LED on the Streamer is on, I can detect the ADAT clock signal being sent by the Streamer through the optical cable. But the Ipad does not display the Streamer inputs/outputs. The only audio device displayed by the Ipad is its own integrated microphone.

Test 3
I use the [Lightning auf USB 3 Kamera-Adapter] from Apple. One input is connected to the power adapter from Apple, the other input (USB) is connected to the [USB Streamer B] .
Result: same as Test 2

Test 4
Like Test 3 but with an additionnal powered USB hub.
Result: same as Test 2 and 3.

I feel disappointed because I had hoped to be able to use this "class compliant" Streamer on my Ipad.
Apparently some people have had success, some others not. Why is that? It would be great if an "expert" could help here.
Best regards from Germany.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 9 months ago #35296

• inforlk
  • Fresh Boarder
It's a disaster, the same happens with my ipad on OS 11, I sent an email to MiniDSP and after 2 weeks they answered me, that they did not know why it is not compatible with Class Compilant on IOS 11. I feel ripped off to buy this product, because in their characteristics they do not indicate anything of this incompatibility. Neither is compatible with Higt Sierra. Very bad management and the sale of this product, is a scam.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 9 months ago #35297

• xi
  • Fresh Boarder
that sounds bad.
from my experience with raspberry pi also usb hubs behave different.
that's the one i use www.belkin.com/de/p/P-F5U701/
but even those sometimes differ. i used several.
so check different ports.
and the USBStreamer needs to be powered first before its connected via the hub to ipad.

i will definitely avoid to to upgrade to ios11 !

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 9 months ago #35298

• inforlk
  • Fresh Boarder
They do not solve anything, they just want to sell the product, very bad company.
Definitely I feel cheated.

If someone is planning to buy this product, if they use IOS 11 or High Sierra. ! Do not buy it !!!

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 8 months ago #35374

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
Dear All

While it's not obvious from the outset to all of you, we can indeed attest that we're looking at it. Let's please stay gentleman and stay on topic, we're here to help and are indeed trying to solve the issue. Unfortunately not all firmware/software upgrades are a magic wand as it appears as an end result. Something broke in the way Apple is managing the clock, the firmware upgrade process requires a modification of the bootloader to make this happen. That's not a 2min Friday afternoon trick unfortunately... Thanks again for your patience and feel free to contact us via our tech support tix if any problem

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

USBStreamer b on iPad 5 (2017, ios 10.33) 2 years 8 months ago #35416

• inforlk
  • Fresh Boarder
patience? When I wrote you 2 times, you took 2 weeks to answer. You did not give me any solution, not even if you were going to fix it and now you say that apple is to blame? You do not try the High Sierra betas? You must indicate that it is not compatible with IOS 11, nor with High Sierra !!! you are cheating future buyers
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam