Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink

How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink 3 years 1 month ago #33373

• brucej4
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Prior to buying USBStreamer B, I sent an e-mail to MiniDSP support with my proposed configuration, and I was assured by DevTeam that it would work. It doesn't.

Here's my original description: "I have a Sony UHP-H1 Blu-Ray player outputting PCM at up to 192 kHz over HDMI to a Tripp Lite HDMI Extractor. The Toslink SPDIF output from the extractor is then sent to my Schiit Bifrost DAC, and it works very well. I would now like to pass the Toslink output from the extractor to the USBStreamer B and record the digital input stream on a computer using Audacity (or, if necessary, some other program)."

The Sony is configured to convert DSD from SACDs to 176.4 PCM for output over HDMI. The Bifrost DAC has no bit rate indicators, so I can't verify what rate is being passed over Toslink, though TrippLite support has verified to me that the extractor supports 24/192 output over SPDIF. All I can do is A/B the analog out from the Sony's internal DSD DAC with the Toslink out from the extractor, and there is no significant audio difference, so I really doubt that the extractor is downconverting the PCM stream.

However, when I send the Toslink output of the extractor to the USBStreamer B, connected to a Windows 10 HP laptop, I can only get a usable input signal when Windows is set to expect 16/44.1 or 24/44.1 from the USBStreamer recording device. Anything higher turns the signal into distorted electronic music.

I am using the current Windows 10 USBStreamer driver.

I have tried all of the current Toslink and Stereo firmware options, and none of them improve the situation.

I have also tried different recording software options (Audacity's lack of ASIO support was a problem) without any improvement.

Can anyone help me to determine: 1) if what I am attempting is even possible, and 2) how I would configure Windows 10, the USBStreamer firmware, and recording software inputs to accomplish this?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink 3 years 1 month ago #33399

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
@ brucej4

Let's see how we can help.. Our statement that you can record up to 192kHz over the Toslink very much still applies. :-) The USBStreamer is about 4years old, countless of customers use it for bidirectional recording so hopefully a tiny bit more faith that our hardware has the ability.. ;-)

1) Did you contact that HDMI extractor manufacturer to triple confirm that the output is indeed the correct sample rate? Maybe you have an AVR that can easily give you the indication of the currently configured sample rate from the extractor? That would help as a good step.

2) The Sample rate of the recording will be configured by the project you start. i.e. need to configure the settings of the project. Not sure how it works under Audacity though.. If recording only works at 48k, knowing there is zero asrc with ASIO (i.e. whatever is received is the value) then possible that it's indeed 48k out from your extractor.. We don't modify/sample rate the PCM bitstream coming in.

3) What's your clock setting under the USBStreamer panel.

3) You MUST use an ASIO software though. 192k requires ASIO.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink 3 years 1 month ago #33400

• brucej4
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for responding.

Before we go any farther, I need to know which of the various USBStreamer firmware choices would be right for processing high-resolution stereo-only input and output.

The Sony player is part of a stereo-audio-only system, not a home theater. For that reason, there is also no AVR in the system. The only DAC I have that shows PCM rate is a USB-powered Cambridge Audio DAC that does not work with the USBStreamer.

Once the firmware issue is settled, I will go back to trying my alternative recording software, REAPER, that does support ASIO. That's the one that was only giving me 44.1 input.

How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink 3 years 3 weeks ago #33456

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ brucej4

If you just want stereo in/out over Toslink, just go for the stereo toslink firmware under the "Firmware\Stereo\"

HTH

DevTeam

How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink 3 years 1 week ago #33649

• brucej4
  • Fresh Boarder
It appears that I have figured out a combination of device settings and firmware levels that allow me to pass stereo LPCM data at up to 24/176.4 over HDMI from my Sony UHP-H1 player, through the Tripp Lite P130 HDMI Extractor, to the MiniDSP USBStreamer, and into my computer via USB, where it is recorded by a Windows program called REAPER.

The Tripp Lite P130 needs to be set to 2 Channel for this to work, which is what I would expect. Strangely, I have read that some other extractors will only pass high res LPCM when set to multichannel.

The current Stereo firmware/ASIO driver is being used for the USBStreamer.

The key factor was in the REAPER software, which, unlike Audacity, supports ASIO. In the REAPER program, the device settings for the ASIO driver contain an optional Request Sample Rate parameter. If I request the proper sample rate for the input that is going to be received, the USBStreamer Control Panel will show the correct sample rate, and the recording is successful. If I do not use the optional Request Sample Rate parameter, the USBStreamer does not detect the proper input sample rate, and the recording fails.

I have been able to record successfully at 24/176.4, 24/96, 24/88.2, 24/48, and 24/44.1. It appears that the Sony will not send 24/192 LPCM over HDMI, even when the source FLAC file is 24/192, so I was unable to record anything at that rate.

I sometimes lose the connection (most likely the HDMI handshake between devices) when changing to different music on the Sony player, and I end up having to recycle power to get it pack, but this is not a major problem so far.

Thanks for your help with this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

How to get PCM stereo above 44.1 over Toslink 3 years 1 week ago #33659

• devteam
  • Administrator
Great info Bruce... Very valuable feedback for other customers and glad to hear that you were able to perform a recording!

DevTeam
Moderators: devteam