Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: State of Linux support?

State of Linux support? 4 years 3 days ago #29985

I purchased a USBstreamer back in 2012 for another project, and sort of shelved it and forgot about it after experiencing the abysmal Linux support at the time. XMOS at the time had a driver, but I don't believe that it ever worked, at least it didn't for me.

I could definitely use the USBstreamer in my new project, but I'm curious to know how well the Linux driver is behaving. I see that others have used it and that it's advertised as being supported on Linux. But I was wondering specifically how usable it is. Is it stable? Is it reliable? Are there any weird quirks? Is the enumeration and identification reliable?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

State of Linux support? 4 years 3 days ago #30004

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1172
Hello,

We're not sure what you mean by "abysmal Linux support at the time" but I suspect that you had issues?
We don't support Linux by our staff, however for the past 4years that we ship this unit, we have LOTS of customers (if not 1 out of 5) using Linux perfectly fine on ALSA 2.0 so I guess that it's fine. Lots of great threads in this USBStreamer section of the forum which I'm sure you've read?

Hoping this info helps

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

State of Linux support? 4 years 3 days ago #30019

We're not sure what you mean by "abysmal Linux support at the time" but I suspect that you had issues?

In around November / December of 2012 when I originally purchased it, it was in fact unusable in Linux. The issue was with the XMOS provided drivers. I could see the PID and VID's but actual output or input of audio was impossible at the time, at least through the single board computer I was using at the time. XMOS was aware of the issue and I even tried contacting a few driver developer gurus to help, but never got anywhere. I suspect the problem worked its way out shortly after.

EDIT: The original error message that I got was:
snd-usb-audio: probe of 1-1.3.4:1.0 failed with error -5

in /var/log/messages.

As I said in my original post, I have read on the forum that it in fact works with Linux. What I'm asking is if there are any quirks or reliability issues when running it on Linux that might affect an embedded type setup. I will try to dig my USBstreamer out of storage and see what I can do with it this week.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 days ago by [email protected].

State of Linux support? 4 years 3 days ago #30020

Also, are there any firmware changes to the USBstreamer that have came out since November of 2012? If so, can I send mine in to be programmed, or can I do this myself?

State of Linux support? 4 years 2 days ago #30038

• Pforlx
  • Fresh Boarder
Speaking of Linux support, can the USBstreamer be used with Sonore microrendu USB music streamer which is Linux based. I currently have minidsp 4 x 10 hd, and would love to be able to use microrendu with USBstreamer if possible.

Thanks.

State of Linux support? 3 years 11 months ago #30142

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1172
[email protected] wrote:

In around November / December of 2012 when I originally purchased it, it was in fact unusable in Linux. The issue was with the XMOS provided drivers. I could see the PID and VID's but actual output or input of audio was impossible at the time, at least through the single board computer I was using at the time. XMOS was aware of the issue and I even tried contacting a few driver developer gurus to help, but never got anywhere. I suspect the problem worked its way out shortly after.

EDIT: The original error message that I got was:
snd-usb-audio: probe of 1-1.3.4:1.0 failed with error -5

in /var/log/messages.

As I said in my original post, I have read on the forum that it in fact works with Linux. What I'm asking is if there are any quirks or reliability issues when running it on Linux that might affect an embedded type setup. I will try to dig my USBstreamer out of storage and see what I can do with it this week.

Ahh, Ok I see.. Unfortunately we don't have memory of what happened back 4years ago and the potential cause of this error knowing there must have been 10updates since.... :-(
A simple update of the firmware takes 2min, it will be easier to just work with the the current firmware as you can see that lots of people have successful implementation with ALSA 2.0.

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

State of Linux support? 2 years 1 month ago #39690

• rybu
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I've been using USBStreamer with Linux for several years now. If you ignore the early posts and go straight to the end you'll see my setup.

www.minidsp.com/forum/usbstreamer/12262-...10-hd-linux?start=15
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
Moderators: devteam