Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Driver questions

Driver questions 3 years 10 months ago #29314

• deandob
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I have an option to purchase a USBStreamer B second hand and have a couple of questions before purchasing:
1) I want to use the USBstreamer inside my DAC and would prefer just the PCB not the case and access the I2S lines. I *think* that I can just remove the case and use the PCB which is the same as the 'kit' version.
2) The current device uses ADAT firmware and I want to change to the version that has access to the I2S outputs. Can I download different firmware even if I'm not the original owner?
3) I want to use this for a Windows 10 PC using APO Equalizer which does not support ASIO but uses WDM. Will the USBStreamer use WDM drivers? In particular Windows 10 preview for the next major update (in Spring) now has in-built support for USB Audio v2 (finally!). Will USBStreamer support a Windows USB Audio 2 device without needing an extra driver? Will it work as a multi-channel device not 4 separate audio devices?
4) I want to use a master clock from the DAC instead of the clock on the USBstreamer, to avoid jitter. Is this possible?

Many thanks for the input
Dean
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Driver questions 3 years 10 months ago #29316

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1587
I believe the answer to (4) is no. (Check the manual.)

You will probably need to raise a ticket to get access to the firmware downloads. Not sure of the policy on that but they will tell you.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, deandob

Driver questions 3 years 10 months ago #29447

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
@ Dean

1) Yes, that's indeed correct.
2) Sure, see user manual on how to upgrade firmware. All explained in great details.
3) Can't confirm on this new Win10 driver. Right now we've got full drivers provided so no need to worry.
4) Not possible. User manual will provide you more details as per John's great feedback!

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deandob

Driver questions 3 years 10 months ago #29465

• deandob
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks John, devteam.

Regarding sending the MCLK from the DAC back to the USBStreamer, it seems it is possible but need to hack the USBstreamer board, see this post at DIYAUDIO. (but of course will void the warranty).

www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/2...dsp-usbstreamer.html

For the Windows 10 native USB Audio 2.0 support, I will try it when I get my USBstreamer as it is available now in the Windows 'redstone' preview. I assume it should just work automatically with the USBstreamer, like it does with Mac. USB Audio 2.0 should be available for everyone in the March update of Windows.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by deandob. Reason: Added Win10 information.
Moderators: devteam