Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 4 years 1 week ago #28160

• Hoffmann
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello Folks,

it seems as if miniDSP has developed exactly what I was missing to build my own Vinyl Record ADC for my digital x/o'd & convolved Speakers plus Vinyl recording system! If this really works I'll be extremely happy!

Current situation:
I'm listening to Vinyl Records with a Technics SP-10 Mk2 Drive Unit, Technics EPA-500 Tonearm, Benz ACE H pick-up, Lehmann Black-Cube SE II PWX RIAA Preamp, then converting A>D with a Sony MDS-JA555ES to 16/44 Toslink Output, then converting to USB with an old M-Audio Transit USB to then feed into my Notebook PC. Puh! Cable Spaghetti!

Applications:
  • Listen to convolved and dig. x/o-ed Vinyl sound in high resolution (i.e. feed DEQX PDC with AES/EBU signal)
  • Record from Vinyl Records
  • Vinyl Record Player/Arm/System set-up & alignment
  • Convolve of incoming phono signal (i.e. convolve/linearize Phono-pick-up and phono preamp characteristics) for recording or on the fly listening.

Goal:
  • Put A>D and D>USB into one box
  • Improve A>D from 16 Bit / 44.1 kHz to 24 Bit / 96 kHz
  • A system similar to the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter (which I actually cannot afford :dry: )

Implementation plan:
  • Posessing a TI PCM4222 Eval. Board already, gives me the Analog to 24 Bit/96 kHz Digital conversion incl. conversion to SPDIF and AES/EBU Output
  • The USBStreamer could/shall fill the most desired, missing link to USB/PC
  • Toslink In-/Outputs come as a bonus without a real plan for use so far, but you never know... ;)

The whole thing looks strinkingly simple at first glance, but before I buy I'd like to make sure I'm not up to failure! So here are a few questions:
  1. The PCM4222 has I²S Output. Can I connect this to the I²S Connector of the USBStreamer for Stereo only Input??
  2. If I use the Master Oscillator of the TI EVM as THE clock source, would the USBStreamer have to run as Slave device??
  3. If the I²S route does not work, the TI ADC EVM has SPDIF Out, but no Toslink, so could I connect the circuits directly i.e. the SPDIF Out signal from a DIT4192 to (somewhere) behind the USBSteamer's Toslink Input connector??
  4. Yes, I'm ready to do I²S experimenting and soldering if necessary (knowing that there are probably warranty implications)

Thanks a lot for suggestions, warnings, ideas, encouragement ....

Cheers,
Winfried
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 4 years 1 week ago #28161

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1587
I don't think the USBStreamer can run as slave, but a quick look at the EVM manual suggests that it can.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 4 years 1 week ago #28179

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
@ Winfried,

John nailed it on his first review. You'd want to put your EVM as slave to be able to connect the USBStreamer to it (always as master).
Check out the USBstreamer user manual for more details on how to wire up the I2S. It's only 4 lines. It's easy. :-)

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 4 years 1 week ago #28194

• Hoffmann
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the quick advice and the encouragement!
I'll evaluate the TI EVM for master/slave configuration and if/how this config can be made work.
Fall back is obviously the SPDIF/Toslink route.

BTW: The ultimate plan is to put Streamer and ADC into one equipment box together with linear power supplies, separately feeding analog an digital system parts.

Cheers,
Winfried
Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Hoffmann.

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 4 years 1 week ago #28196

• Hoffmann
  • Senior Boarder
Hello Dev Team,

Reviewing/Comparing the TI EVM Datasheet and the USBStreamer layout I see that there should be no issue conecting and configuring an I²S link between them. So far so good!

There's seemingly one (for me: significant) caveat with the USB Streamer having to be the master clock (whis is not a criticism!):
For A>D clock accuracy, which I regard as one major quality parameter for my project, I'd have to depend on the quality of the 24.576 MHz for 96 kHz sampling rate, provided by USBstreaner from a 16.0000 MHz XO. If what I see this wrong, please let me know if there are dedicated 24.576 and 22.5792 MHz oscillators on the USBstreamer board

If the 16 MHz XO is used for clock synthesis, then I'll probably go the SPDIF/Toslink connection route - not a real issue, though, just not as "clean" a solution....

One more thing: bpa Germany does not seem to sell the USBStreamer kit version, so would I order directly from miniDSP or what is the best way?

Thanks for advising!.
Regards,
Winfried
Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Hoffmann.

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 3 years 9 months ago #29988

• adamski
  • Fresh Boarder
You might be interested in this thread over at diyaudio: www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/2...dsp-usbstreamer.html

USBStreamer based 24/96 ADC w/ USB Out to PC 3 years 9 months ago #30011

• Hoffmann
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks a lot! I'll have a read and see what I can derive. So far my prototype build is almost ready for first tests. Although, in the mean time I have decided for miniStreamer instead of USB Streamer and bought it from a miniDSP dealer in France. Consideration was that I²S of USBStreamer has to be master where I need it to be slave. Also, connecting either koax SPDIF or directly to the TI A>D board seems practical as well as the driver free PC USB connection.

Regards,
Winfried
Moderators: devteam