Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: USBStreamer on VirtualBox

USBStreamer on VirtualBox 4 years 8 months ago #25267

I'm trying to make USBStreamer with I2S mic connected work on my VirtualBox machine - unfortunately with no luck.
This is what I've done so far:
* I've installed the USBStreamer driver on host OS
* I've installed the USBStreamer driver on guest OS
* I've enabled USBStreamer device on guest machine

When I use USBStreamer on host OS - it works perfectly well.
However, when I switch to guest OS - I'm unable to record anything

What's more - I've done the same experiment with my USB headset - I was able to record sound both on host OS & guest OS so it is not VirtualBox limitation.

My question: is it possible to use USBStreamer with VirtualBox or there is some limitation about which I'm not aware of?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USBStreamer on VirtualBox 4 years 7 months ago #25400

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1172
Unfortunately we've never done any testing on such platform (and have very limited understanding at how the ownership of files works when drivers are installed) so I'm afraid that we're not going to be able to provide much advise here.. :-(

I'm guessing that the issue is more down to the ASIO drivers and how it's being used by this OS config.
Sorry we're not able to help much on this untested, unsupported OS.. :-(

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

USBStreamer on VirtualBox 4 years 7 months ago #25420

I'm sorry - I didn't make myself clear the first time.
VirtualBox is not an OS - it's a tool that lets you create several "virtual machines" on your host PC running e.g. Windows or Linux OS. Each "virtual machine" can have different OS installed so I've figured out that it would be a nice way to test my SW that works with USBStreamer on different OS versions using just one PC. So I've installed Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 on my 3 "virtual mahcines" but I was not able to record anything with USBStreamer on those virtual machines.
Is this kind of scenario supported?

USBStreamer on VirtualBox 4 years 7 months ago #25524

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1172
Hello

Ok, so it's similar to VMWARE in a sense? We're able to use it on VMWARE.. Maybe try it?
I'm afraid that the virtualization platform you're using isn't something we've ever tested, nor we'd be able to spend much time debugging knowing the workload of the engineers these days.. :-(

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

USBStreamer on VirtualBox 2 years 1 month ago #39691

• rybu
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
You should only need the driver in the guest OS.

What is your host OS? For example, the open-source version of Virtualbox in Linux won't work as a host, as it doesn't have full USB functionality. If you download the closed-source version from Oracle you can get USB functionality. I've been able to use USBStreamer with a Linux host and Windows guest this way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
Moderators: devteam