Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone?

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #30966

• aldeberan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I can confirm that this is true.

I first discovered the issue a few days ago and just finished some additional testing. In fact, I was going to email the devteam directly but decided to check the forums first.

I tested with a function generator sending a steady 1KHz signal to an Alesis ADAT and recorded a 1 minute segment to tape. I then connected my iphone to the USBStreamer and the optical cable to the ADAT. The ADAT was set to be the clock source (48K). I then recorded the 1 minute segment to my iphone. After offloading the iphone recording to PC I analyzed the recording and found that every 6 seconds you can see some kind of reset occur, what should be a pure sine wave is instead a bit of distortion.

Realizing that this could be a timing issue and with no way on the iphone to configure the USBStreamer, I decided to connect the other optical cable from the Streamer to the ADAT and change the ADAT clock from internal to external. So now the ADAT was relying on the Streamer for the clock source. This recording was absolutely perfect, no pops or misshaped sine wave anywhere in the recording.

nicatnite, not sure what you're using but perhaps this is an option to work around the problem until devteam can come up with an easy fix.

David
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicatnite

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #30969

• nicatnite
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks David, your suggested workaround makes sense! However in my preferred application, the ADAT signal is coming directly from an 8-channel preamp/AD converter (Audient ASP880) which provides exclusively ADAT output, not input.

The ASP880 does in fact support word clock in on a BNC port, but from what I can tell I would have to do some fancy reclocking of the USBStreamer's internal clock to get a lock. So hopefully there is a firmware fix that makes the simple approach (to accept external ADAT word clock) feasible.

On the other hand this could be an interim solution for other devices, e.g. an Apogee Quartet, which does support bidirectional ADAT optical.

Cheers,
Jon

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #31019

• nicatnite
  • Fresh Boarder
@DevTeam- any comments? Any chance of a separate firmware option for iOS applications?

Jon
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam