Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone?

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 6 years 1 week ago #16134

• Naturlyd
  • Fresh Boarder
Earlier on You answered a question about the power requirements of the USBStreamer vs the current limit on i-devices. One needs to use a powered USB-hub.

But, can anyone confirm that they have an up and running setup with iPad/iPhone and the USBStreamer? Is it 100% stable, no freezing or clicks/noise in the audiostream?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 10 months ago #16833

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
Hello and sorry for the missed reply.. We just spotted your post.. :-(
IN answer to your question, providing you have a good quality HUB (we used a Belkin HUB), we saw zero problems using the USBStreamer along with the Ipad. Interface was declared as multichannel audio and we did some test fine with a synthesizer app. Neat stuf..
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jylhänkangas

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 10 months ago #16923

• JensH
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Does that mean that with a good quality USB hub it is possible to use the USBStreamer also on a PC at 192 kHz sampling?
If so, can you recommend some USB hubs, which will allow error free operation. Or perhaps which chip they should be based upon?

I once tried (by mistake) to use a hub between a PC and the USBStreamer. It almost worked, but occasionally there were errors when running at high sample rates.

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 10 months ago #16935

Do you need camera kit for the lightning port, or can you use just the included lightning->usb cable? (powered from usb hub of course)

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 10 months ago #16950

• devteam
  • Administrator
JensH wrote:
Does that mean that with a good quality USB hub it is possible to use the USBStreamer also on a PC at 192 kHz sampling?
If so, can you recommend some USB hubs, which will allow error free operation. Or perhaps which chip they should be based upon?

I once tried (by mistake) to use a hub between a PC and the USBStreamer. It almost worked, but occasionally there were errors when running at high sample rates.
@ JensH, yes that has indeed been our experience that finding the right hub is hard but unfortunately we didn't do much testing with the HUBs. Another option would be to provide the 5V to the unit. Then you don't need a HUB..: -)
The belkin unit (used for MFI Apple certification) does work fine indeed.

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 10 months ago #16951

• devteam
  • Administrator
Jylhänkangas wrote:
Do you need camera kit for the lightning port, or can you use just the included lightning->usb cable? (powered from usb hub of course)
Yes, that's correct. You indeed need the camera kit since none of our products are "MFI" devices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jylhänkangas

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 10 months ago #17087

• JensH
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
devteam wrote:
JensH wrote:

@ JensH, yes that has indeed been our experience that finding the right hub is hard but unfortunately we didn't do much testing with the HUBs. Another option would be to provide the 5V to the unit. Then you don't need a HUB..: -)

My intention was not to get power through the hub. I was looking for a way to connect e.g. a USB to UART/SPI/I2C interface through a USB hub on the same USB connection from the PC.
Ideally I would like this function to be added to the USBStreamer itself, so that simple control messages could be communicated to/from a device to set up parts of the hardware.

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 5 years 9 months ago #17166

• devteam
  • Administrator
JensH wrote:
My intention was not to get power through the hub. I was looking for a way to connect e.g. a USB to UART/SPI/I2C interface through a USB hub on the same USB connection from the PC. Ideally I would like this function to be added to the USBStreamer itself, so that simple control messages could be communicated to/from a device to set up parts of the hardware.

Mmmh I see.. As for the idea of using the USBStreamer as a USB to I2C/SPI/UART device, interesting but not 100% sure if we'd start this.. We're going to open a can of worms with people involving us in their API/dev/C code thinking that it's the USBStreamer being the culprit.. :-) Not sure if we want to get into this low level DIY knowing the high level of tech support resources you end up being involved with... We've already got our share doing Audio only.. :-)

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 8 months ago #30480

• mmuhler
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All
I know this topic has been silent for a while here I have the Mini DSP streamer I just bought it last week and it works fine on my windows machine for what I am doing.
I am trying to to do the same thing on an IPAD and so far things are not working. I have hooked up the USB streamer as instructed by this forum USBstreamer goes into a powered 2.0 belkin USB hub comes out of the USB hub to a USB camera to lightning adapter. When I connect this to the IPAD it comes up and says this device is not supported :( I think what I am missing here is and app I see you mention a synthesizer app in the reply from the DEVteam .

What I am trying to do is playback 8 channels of audio converted to a 7.1 wav file through the streamer to the 8 ADAT channels .
Is this an app issue? what app can I use that will support Asio multichannel playback on the IPAD?

Also I upgraded to the latest IPAD IOS 10xxx
Best
Michael

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 8 months ago #30538

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ Michael

I wonder if it's down to the Hub. Try to remove it. USBSTREAMER will get discovered by default being an UAC2 device.
The app will be an important element of the picture though. You need to find one that is multichannel.

DevTeam

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 8 months ago #30605

• mmuhler
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi and thanks for the reply

Can you suggest a specific powered Belkin USB hub model that is known to work with the USB streamer? You may be correct I would like to sort that part out first I would expect the IPAD needs to recognize it as a multichannel device first before I install an app.

Best
Michael

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #30815

• nicatnite
  • Fresh Boarder
I've had success with an 8 channel preamp Audient ASP880 (ADAT out) -> USBstreamer B -> iPad Pro (via USB3 lightning adaptor).
In a few tests I have found that 8 channel recording is Ok for the most part.

But (a big But!) I see some signs of clocking issues with occasional signal dropouts. I understand the USBStreamer B's firmware defaults to internal clock and it is configurable via a PC or Mac control panel to accept an input (ADAT) clock as an alternative. That's probably what I want to do here, but the iPad has no such capability to alter the defaults....would there be a way to accomplish this with a modification to different firmware options?

Thanks
Jon

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #30857

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ Jon

I actually believe that it should default to external clock.. no? Did you try on your PC? Isn't it external when you plug by default?

DevTeam

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #30873

• nicatnite
  • Fresh Boarder
@DevTeam wrote: " I actually believe that it should default to external clock.. no? Did you try on your PC? Isn't it external when you plug by default?"

This does NOT appear to be the case. I went back and tested ADAT -> USBStreamer -> MacBook Pro laptop, successively under 'Internal' clock and 'ADAT' (external) clock settings (configured via Applications/Utilities/Audio-MIDI Setup). With 'Internal' clock setting, I was able to reproduce the audio artifacts seen earlier on the iPad (periodic brief dropouts in signal and higher noise levels indicative of excessive jitter). On the other hand, with 'ADAT (external)' clock setting, the audio was free of audible artifacts. I went back and re-tested ADAT -> USBStreamer -> iPad and I can confirm that the problem is still there no matter what the last setting was on MacBook. Switching clock settings on the MacBook Pro doesn't appear to alter the USBStreamer's firmware, or else any altered setting is overridden by iPad software.

It would be really, really nice if you could release a version of the firmware that forces external ADAT clock when plugged into an iPad! The portability of such a system is truly amazing, but for now it's unusable for this application.

Thanks,
Jon

USBStreamer works on iPad/iPhone? 3 years 7 months ago #30942

• nicatnite
  • Fresh Boarder
Can anyone confirm my experience with USBStreamer-b as input to an iDevice (iOS)? (See my earlier posts.)

I detect clocking issues leading me to believe USBStreamer is ignoring any ADAT clock inputs from the source device.

I would love to find a solution that would allow me to use USBStreamer on a tablet. Others may as well, as there is a growing list of DAW users who have discovered and are using apps like Auria and Cubasis 2 for iPad to record and mix multitrack inputs to an iPad.

Thanks,
Jon
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam