Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: multi-channel recording (linux)

multi-channel recording (linux) 4 years 7 months ago #23509

• Hadfield
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Update- actually, even though I seemed to be getting the same issues with amixer etc, the arecord command DID WORK for me, recording 8 channel audio (using arecord) and playing it back with aplay. One thing I can't get working yet is the --separate-channels flag, to separate the 8 channels into separate .wav files (rather then have all channels consolidated in a single wav file). I keep getting the error:

arecord: set_params:1228: Access type not available

the only change from a working command line is to add the "--separate-channels" parameter. The working command line is:

arecord -D hw:USBStreamer -c 8 -r 44100 -f S32_LE music.wav

anyone have any ideas?

cheers
Doug
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

multi-channel recording (linux) 4 years 5 months ago #24733

• francolargo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Cool!

So "arecord -D hw:USBStreamer -c 8 -r 44100 -f S32_LE music.wav" works for you...

Sorry if this was given previously, but what is the format of your source stream? I2S or Toslink?

multi-channel recording (linux) 4 years 5 months ago #24912

• Hadfield
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, yes it does work. However, in common with others on this thread, I was getting occasional dropouts in the audio stream. I was using an NTFS file system type as destination for the record stream, so it could be read directly on my windows workstation where Reaper is running. I've now changed that file system to XFS and the dropouts seem to have gone! - early days though, so watch this space for updates....
Doug

multi-channel recording (linux) 4 years 5 months ago #24936

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1140
Thanks for the update Hadfield. Keep us updated of your progress.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

multi-channel recording (linux) 3 years 11 months ago #28333

• mirrijakys
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am retaking this thread, as I have seen there are some messages unanswered regarding reproduction.

I recently bough a USBStreamer kit which I am trying to use to play audio via the SDPIF output. I have tried it with Windows and it works...

I am trying to do the same with Linux using Jack, but nothing comes out. Whilst that I am able to see the 10 inputs and outputs and I am wiring audio via Jack to outputs 9 and 10 (SPDIF out) nothing sounds... Any idea of why? I have seen than in the past people were having the same problem... But no one said if it was solved of how.

Thanks in advance.

multi-channel recording (linux) 3 years 10 months ago #28413

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1140
@ mirrijakys

While we don't support Linux, there are quite few threads on this forum showing success. Worth for you to do a simple search.
I'm guessing that maybe you're doing playback here. That thread is more applicable I guess.
www.minidsp.com/forum/usbstreamer/12262-...linux?start=15#26426

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

multi-channel recording (linux) 3 years 10 months ago #28427

• mirrijakys
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

In the end I solved the problem. I am not sure exactly which one of the two steps solved it... but what I did was:

1. Go to etc\asound.conf and delete all the information regarding the USBStreamer.
2. open alsamixer and go to the USBStreamer settings. By default this was muted (MM) and needed to be unmuted by pressing (m). I only tried one channel, but it was playing audio back now...Don't know about recording, have not tried it yet.

mirrijakys

multi-channel recording (linux) 3 years 10 months ago #28432

• francolargo
  • Fresh Boarder
It was the alsamixer setting. For recording, your available devices will be listed by executing 'arecord -L' in a command line.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam