Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

UMIK used with Tablet? 9 years 2 months ago #9257

• MdPrfssr
  • MdPrfssr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey all.

I currently have the Behringer ECM8000 going through an MXL MicMate into my laptop (I got this setup just before UMIK came out!)

I thought I would try and connect it to my Samsung Note 10.1 and use one of the RTA/FFT apps for more portability than lugging my big laptop around. Problem is, using the OTG Samsung adapter and plugging the MicMate in, the tablet says the device is a high powered one and isn't supported.

Does anyone know if the UMIK would also encounter such an issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

UMIK used with Tablet? 9 years 2 months ago #9282

• MdPrfssr
Anyone? Really keen to get a good setup working on the tablet and am interested in swapping to the UMIK if it might work

UMIK used with Tablet? 9 years 2 months ago #9284

• MdPrfssr
For what it's worth to people:

I needed to have a powered USB hub to get the MicMate to activate, but then I found out android doesn't natively support USB Mic's.

There's a few apps that have built software to allow you to record from USB Mic's but only inside their apps. One person has suggested I find the appropriate linux driver for the device and recompile the kernel with it in it...

I guess all that goes for the UMIK too

UMIK used with Tablet? 9 years 2 months ago #9305

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1384
@ MdPrfssr

- The power issue sounds about right. These USB output current may not have the specs that's required to power a device (i.e. 500mA). A USB hub is the way to do it.
- As for the recording question, I guess that it all depends on the application. With each Android OS on each tablet having its own configuration, it's not like we can say a definitive answer. You'd also need the "software" to be able to "select" another input than what I'd guess would be the Audio from the Mic/Headset by default. You'd need to be able to select "USB audio" as a device. That's not a UMIK-1 setting. More of a Android/RTA software issue.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MdPrfssr

UMIK used with Tablet? 9 years 2 months ago #9313

• MdPrfssr
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

Yeah, basically I am now doing some research into modifying my device's kernel to add a generic or maybe even device specific driver from linux. Hopefully the way that will work is that when a USB mic is plugged in it takes over the default mic and no setting is needed to be changed in the individual apps.

Do you guys have a device-specific linux driver for the UMIK? If you do, and I can get the source code to cross-compile to the tablet ARM standard, I may purchase the UMIK since the XML MicMate guys have been rather vague about the linux driver for their device. They keep just saying 'yes it will work with Linux on a desktop PC' so I am unsure as to the driver it will use and what I should use for it.

The joys (frustrations) of thinking outside the box!

• Page:
Moderators: devteam