Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8746

• cii02ma7
  • cii02ma7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought a miniDSP 2x4 and an UMIK-1 about a week ago which will arrive in a few days and I´m unsure of what to do. I bought this package without doing any research just based on the reputation of your company. Sadly, this is more and more looking like it was a mistake. The UMIK-1 mic seems to be having a bunch of issues. I was under the impression that the UMIK (with calibration file) would be 15Hz - 20kHz +/-1dB which the product page still states. The measurements in this and other threads suggests otherwise.

I can fully understand that these are complex issues that takes time to correct and I assume that they will indeed be resolved.
What is inexcusable however is the lack of communication from the minidsp team. We, the customers, need to know if these issues are possible to resolve at all. If it is just a matter of releasing new calibration files then great. But then let us know that this is the case. Why not start a thread that gets updated once a day with the latest information just to share the information you have? You are currently selling a product that does not meet the promised specs.

You guys are currently ruining a reputation that took you years of hard work to build by keeping your customers in the dark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8759

• ejh2854
Posting a thread like this seems counter-productive, and frankly- rather absurd.

Conversations regarding the UMIK concerns have been evolving over the course of several weeks now, both here and elsewhere, with an obvious effort being made a.) to get to the root of the matter and b.) to resolve the problems that users have reported.

Why not start a thread that gets updated once a day with the latest information just to share the information you have?

Maybe once every hour would be better? ...or maybe a live cam streaming minute-by-minute? Silly.

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8774

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I think a concerned customer has every right to call for timely updates, in fact I would go further to say the product should be withdrawn from sale until all the problems have been rectified. The only reason that they are allowed to continue selling a non-working product is that mimidsp are internet based company in HongKong. If they were based in the USA or Europe they would probably be breaking the law

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8775

• ejh2854
lol When he doesn't even have the product in his hands yet, and is going strictly by third-party reports of issues as the basis for his complaint?

Laughable.

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8785

• lilmike

I bought a miniDSP 2x4 and an UMIK-1 about a week ago which will arrive in a few days and I´m unsure of what to do. I bought this package without doing any research just based on the reputation of your company. Sadly, this is more and more looking like it was a mistake. The UMIK-1 mic seems to be having a bunch of issues. I was under the impression that the UMIK (with calibration file) would be 15Hz - 20kHz +/-1dB which the product page still states. The measurements in this and other threads suggests otherwise.

I can fully understand that these are complex issues that takes time to correct and I assume that they will indeed be resolved.
What is inexcusable however is the lack of communication from the minidsp team. We, the customers, need to know if these issues are possible to resolve at all. If it is just a matter of releasing new calibration files then great. But then let us know that this is the case. Why not start a thread that gets updated once a day with the latest information just to share the information you have? You are currently selling a product that does not meet the promised specs.

You guys are currently ruining a reputation that took you years of hard work to build by keeping your customers in the dark.

Relax.

You're worrying about things that really don't matter. Both REW 's author and MiniDSP's devteam are working to remedy the issues, but in the interim, things are still totally usable.

Absolute SPL is not at all important when measuring for EQ or level-matching a system, relative SPLs will work fine. Your umik and MiniDSP, plus REW will get you all that you need as far as data to properly equalize your system. Relative SPL will work fine, and the few dB that the cal files may deviate from reality are not of any significance in the real world.

Absolute SPL comes into play when measuring sensitivity. Without a TrueRMS voltmeter, a load resistor, and an amplifier suited to making such measurements, such results are moot anyhow. The absolute SPL issue will be addressed, as it is directly liked to the calibration files. Cal files can be "fixed", either through recalibration, or by adjustment. The folks at MinDSP have the data, it is just a matter of getting the errors in the calculations sorted out. As I understand it, this has been underway for a while now, and should be completed in short order.

Just because there is no calibration data below 10 or 20 Hz does not mean that the mic is not responding at the low frequencies. As with most of my other mics, I can see 2 Hz "response" with the umik by waving my hand back and forth in front of it.

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8792

• megagurka

The folks at MinDSP have the data, it is just a matter of getting the errors in the calculations sorted out. As I understand it, this has been underway for a while now, and should be completed in short order.

Are you talking about absolute or relative SPL calibration? How can you be so sure that they ever can produce correct calibration files? If there is an error in their measurement setup it might be impossible to compensate for this error in already existing calibration files without re-measuring the mics. And how can I as a customer be sure that a new calibration file is correct without access to other calibrated sensors to use as reference? No, sorry, I will never be confident that any calibration file for my UMIK is correct unless I can somehow check it against a reference mic.

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8798

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1384
@ cii02ma7,

Sure, we're happy to answer your questions. :-)
- You mentioned that your order was done about a week ago however we can't find an order linked to your account so maybe I'm guessing that you purchased your product through another channel? With this said, if your order was made less than a week ago then it would be from our latest back of microphone batch which indeed solved quite few things.

- As you may see in other forum posts, we've been providing answer to the questions you're asking above (i.e. why the issue of calibration file). The announcement section is indeed a good place where we make announcement on the status. Your idea of starting a thread is a good idea but that's pretty much what we're doing by answering all forum posts. Soon enough, we'll combine a major announcement summarizing all steps required to get accurate SPL reading (need new REW) and accurate sensitivity (new calibration file). Some of these taking time being on different time zones.

- As Lilmike is mentioning, I think that there has been a bit of misunderstanding as to what the microphone can actually measure or not. Even if you had a calibration file modified and actually trimed to say only showing data from 800 to 20khz (like Earthworks microphone do @ 10x the price. ;-), then it would STILL measure down to 2Hz. The calibration file have very little to do with the ability of the microphone to actually measure low frequency. The rating of frequency response (from the datasheet) of the microphone is actually related to making a measurement with the microphone + calibration file of say a very flat acoustic signal in an anechoic chamber (very hard to reproduce at home.. :-) . You'd expect it to be within +/-1dB flat. Does this make sense?

Anyway, we communicate and do support the DIY audio community for more than 4 years now, so don't worry.

Hoping this info helps,

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ejh2854

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 4 months ago #8799

• cii02ma7
  • cii02ma7's Avatar Topic Author
My order was part of a group buy. (If you check your inbox you will find my username attached to the purchase.) I have received informaton that my shipment was from a third batch but I do not know which issues have been dealt with and which ones are still open for this specific batch. Do you have a link to where I can read more about which batches needs which fixes?

Also I´m not sure I agree with your comment about all information being available in the forum. I think I´ve read most of the threads and I am still not sure I understand if there can or will be a solution to the reported issues (noise, sensitivity, calibration file being incorrect). I know there is information detailed on the reason for these issues but I do not remember reading anything about if there would be any solution. The two first issues (noise and sensitivity) arent that important to me but the difference between calibration files posted on these forums of 4-5db at 20hz is a pretty big issue for me as I will use the UMIK and 2x4 to dial in my subwoofers and my reason for buying your product was that it would be an easy and fairly accurate way of getting a resonably correct in-room respons. A 4db measurment error however is quite audible to me and is probably not much better than my old radioshack meter which kind of defeats the purpose. And that’s assuming that the error is no more than those 4db. Something I can not be sure of either.

If a solution to the above issues ae on the way then just let us know and I will simply wait for the fixes. Otherwise I need to do something as the product is of little use to me.

Thank you for replying to my thread and I hope miniDSP keeps being successful in the future.

Last edit: by cii02ma7.

Re: Some thoughts from a concerned customer 9 years 3 months ago #8884

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1384
@ cii02ma7,

OK, understood where your order comes from since this is part of a group order. It wasn't in our shopping cart database, that's the reason we couldn't find you. :-)

If you want a general summary, please have a look at the following post.
www.minidsp.com/forum/18-umik-questions/8868-umik-1-update

Hoping this clarifies.
Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam