Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8262

• tlicht
  • tlicht's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am deeply disappointed in your behaviour to your customers (me in this case). I ordered and paid a UMIK1 on February 21st. At that time it said that you would deliver within 5 days. As you can see it is March 1st today and today your web site says that the UMIK1 is on order - not even a guess regarding when you will be able to deliver.
This is not the proper way to handle your customers - if you wish them to remain your customers - taking their money and then not deliver, at least not nearly on time.
Also: an inquiry regarding the delivery has not been answered within the 48 hours you say is the time limit for an answer from you.
Regards
Thomas Lichtneckert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8275

• monomer
  • Thank you received: 3
Since it is the weekend (remember Hong Kong is on the other side of the International dateline) and you'll likely not get a response from a miniDSP representative until late Sunday evening (which will then be their Monday afternoon) I will offer you this explanation.

History: Earlier this month the second batch of UMIKs were shipped out in haste due to the miniDSP staff rushing to fulfill a couple hundred backorders before the start of Chinese New Year... unfortunately there was a major error in the online calibration files that none of the staff caught. When they got back to work the middle of the following week it was determined that there was a rescaling issue required to correct those files and everyone had to wait a week for their mic supplier (who keeps the raw calibration data on file) to get back from their holidays to correct it. The online calibration files were changed the following week however in doing so the sensitivity factors got changed to a bogus value and they were subsequently notified of this by UMIK owners. Those factors then were changed back to their original values but as it happens these were also incorrect...

This now brings you up-to-date: miniDSP is aware there is a problem with the sensitivity factors and is currently working with their supplier to obtain the correct sensitivity factor and I believe this is the hold up. They are not sending out any UMIKs until the calibration files get corrected.

Its unfortunate that they are not updating their customers through personal emailings and in a timely fashion but they are apparently swamped with work right now and the staff is small. However, its probably a good thing they are not sending out your UMIK until they have all the problems with the calibration files fully corrected, though that doesn't excuse them not notifying you of a hold on your order. Hopefully they will have all this fixed soon and can resume shipping out UMIKs but you are right, they should have a message on their website apprising potential customers that there is currently a hold on shipping of UMIKs.

I have a UMIK from this second batch and you can take heart in that mine is working quite well (I measured it against a calibrated EMM-6) and I believe the sensitivity factor just needs to be reduced (numerically) by -6dBs and it then agrees with my RS digital SPL meter (and the EMM-6). Hopefully you haven't much longer to wait...

Last edit: by monomer.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8277

• tlicht
Thank you Monomer for your sympathetic and thorough posting.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8280

• ejh2854
Don't get all twisted up, and lose hope... I ordered a UMIK-1 on Saturday, 2/16 and it was on my Charlotte, NC doorstep on 2/21- the following Thursday.

I have a UMIK from this second batch and you can take heart in that mine is working quite well (I measured it against a calibrated EMM-6) and I believe the sensitivity factor just needs to be reduced (numerically) by -6dBs and it then agrees with my RS digital SPL meter (and the EMM-6).

I've been slowly learning my way along with REW for the past couple of days, but my experience seems to parallel yours... if the UMIK-1 sensitivity was refactored by ~6ish dB it would agree pretty closely with my calibrated CM-140.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8281

• victoryengineer
Patience young grasshopper. I paid for mine on Monday 2/18 and it's scheduled to get here on 3/6.

Cheers :cheer:

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8282

• tlicht
Thanx!!! FYI I am 67.... ;-)
But I do feel like a young grasshopper...

Last edit: by tlicht.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8285

• victoryengineer
Lol, never too old to be a young grasshopper. You'll be like a kid on Christmas when you finally get to play with your new toy. :P

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8286

• zajac
  • Thank you received: 1

I have a UMIK from this second batch and you can take heart in that mine is working quite well (I measured it against a calibrated EMM-6) and I believe the sensitivity factor just needs to be reduced (numerically) by -6dBs and it then agrees with my RS digital SPL meter (and the EMM-6).

Hi

Does this mean that when your EMM-6 measures, say, 80dB(Z?) SPL from your speaker, that your UMIK is measuring 74dB, or 86dB? Or are we talking dbFS here?

Last edit: by zajac.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8287

• monomer
  • Thank you received: 3
Okay this is how it works... the EMM-6 requires a USB pre-amp and REW requires the level be set so I use the RS SPL meter to set the mic calibration... so after the EMM-6 SPL calibration it will read exactly the same as the RS meter using Pink Noise. I took a measurement and saved... then I swapped out mics in the mic holder (at the end of a rigid boom on a mic stand) and connected the UMIK directly to the USB port on the laptop. These UMIKs have a sensitivity factor in their calibration file that REW uses to automatically set the mic SPL calibration... so with the sensitivity factor reduced by exactly -6dBs (the current online sensitivity factor in the calibration file for my UMIK reads -18.5026dB and I changed it to read -12.5026dB) I then remeasured and put both graphs together for comparison and they are precisely at the same levelwise. You can follow this link to see the capture I posted over at the HTS www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-mete...e-33.html#post593396

Last edit: by monomer.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8317

• Greebster
Ordered mine on the 22nd of last month. Didn't expect it to ship til sometime the next week. There was no notification of delays or the like at the time of the sale but did know of the cal issue and also how to fix (simple). Another friend ordered his stuff on the 27th of last month, but was informed of the delay (cal file debacle) when ordering. On March 3rd I fired off an email asking where when why etc. Response followed the next morning Mar.4th, the issue with the mics cal file and a delay in shipping by a few days. Later that day my friend received his order.

Fast forward to today, March 6th. Where are my products? Why should someone receive their products that were ordered 3 business days later and am still waiting two days after he received his?! The difference between Michigan and Florida are nothing when coming from Hong Kong.

Can I get a straight answer, a tracking #, something, anything on the status of my order #5709

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8321

• Greebster
So it appears someone dropped the ball on the other side of the planet and just got around to shipping it today. Great!

No sorry, we apologize or the like for the dropped order and unnecessary two week delay or for the email received last monday informing me of the delay but never bothering to actually check what the status is! This would anger anyone. If they had THESE TWO POSTS would not have been necessary and I'd be happily engaged in measurements... but more importantly have the miniDSP in hand. Cannot do anything more til it has arrived. I do have many measurement analyzers, meters, scopes, etc.

Am certainly glad it has been shipped, can't track it yet because the # is not in their system.

Would like to add that I do plan on doing further business, another mini (or two) and an OpenDRC is in the future so this hasn't detered me at all. :)

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8337

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1300
Hello Greebster,

We're sorry to hear from your experience due to this delay. All orders indeed being typically processed for shipping within 3~5working days. We unfortunately had to investigate one issue all last week hence the delay. Your order indeed shipped and it's coming from an automated email from our system which indeed wouldn't include a personal note when there is a delay. We could improve this in the future. A good idea. :-)

We did send an email according to our server on the 4th. Did you receive it by any chance? It did explain the reason for the delay and provided our apologies for the delay. We could send it again if for some reason your junk folder trapped it. :-)

Hoping this info helps and have fun with your microphone + miniDSP!

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8339

• Greebster
Apparently you did not read what was written in the first post. Mini did not ship the items ordered for 9 business days! Additionally other people whom ordered several business days AFTER my order was placed have already received their items for over 5 business days now (at the time of this writing). Their orders included the UMIK-1 and they were informed of the delay, which was on your web page for the UMIK-1 (in RED, I might add!). This was not displayed until sometime after my order was placed.

I ordered on Friday Feb 22 in the evening. Did not expect it to ship for several business days into the following week. Items ordered did not ship until the 7 of March, after my first post I might add. If you, or mini cannot see what I am saying then the loss is yours.

Those are the FACTS. Please stop adding insult to injury, it is quite counter productive and disrespectful.

Re: Delivery 8 years 7 months ago #8340

• Greebster

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your order.

We indeed take about 3~5 working days to prepare an order an ship it. You'd have to add few days for transit (3~4days transit). With this said, we're currently experiencing some delay as our team was investigating an issue with the reading displayed in the sensitivity section of the calibration file. We did put shipment on hold last week for that reason. Our apologies for this delay.

It now seems like this issue is almost figured out by our engineering team and we'll soon start again shipping units. We'll send an email in the next few days with an update.

Hoping this info helps.

and this is the email content I sent which invoked the above response...

I received this confirmation email, yet no means of tracking the order has been provided in any correspondence. Checking the website normal delivery takes 3-4 days, minus weekends/holidays/customs, that would make today day 5. Not having experience with Speedpost, and the lack of tracking information is quite concerning.

Regards,
Mike

By your webpage it states that the tracking information would be included when the "automated" email was sent. It was not. Was patient, freely gave additional business days prior to making any inquiries. Later the same day, a friend received his UMIK-1 which was ordered on the 27 of Feb.

Isn't modern age communications wonderful.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam