Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8477

• PWS
  • Thank you received: 0
Any news on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8543

• JohanW
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes any news about the incorrect SPL readings?

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8544

• JohanW

@ Zajac, JohanW,

There was indeed a mistake in the script generating these calibration file. It is solved now.

As for the 6dB difference, we modified the microphone electronics to provide higher gain to the capsule (+6dB) as we did hear that some of our initial end users would prefer higher sensitivity. The mics therefore hover between 20 to 22 or so. The sensitivity number in the calibration file is the correct value.

Hoping this clarifies.
DevTeam

I still would like to get this statement clarified. I asked a question about this earlier in the thread.
How could the sensitivity factor of the new batch of UMIK have a lower sensitivity factor if the gain of the capsule has increased?
A lower sensitivity factor indicates a decresaed gain of the capsule.

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8550

• thatsnasty

@ Zajac, JohanW,

There was indeed a mistake in the script generating these calibration file. It is solved now.

As for the 6dB difference, we modified the microphone electronics to provide higher gain to the capsule (+6dB) as we did hear that some of our initial end users would prefer higher sensitivity. The mics therefore hover between 20 to 22 or so. The sensitivity number in the calibration file is the correct value.

Hoping this clarifies.
DevTeam

I still would like to get this statement clarified. I asked a question about this earlier in the thread.
How could the sensitivity factor of the new batch of UMIK have a lower sensitivity factor if the gain of the capsule has increased?
A lower sensitivity factor indicates a decresaed gain of the capsule.

Still wondering how the "noise floor" (for lack of better words) of the microphone is so high too.
I'm still getting completely bunk measurements below where my speakers cut off.
I know a 50hz X-over will not be completely down 100db by 20hz but I should NOT have a perfectly flat graph that far below 50hz...

Last edit: by thatsnasty.

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8554

• monomer
  • monomer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

Still wondering how the "noise floor" (for lack of better words) of the microphone is so high too.
I know a 50hz X-over will not be completely down 100db by 20hz but I should NOT have a perfectly flat graph that far below 50hz...

Could you post a graph showing your response? I'm curious as to what you're seeing... also maybe explain how you have your computer connected to your AVR. I'd like to try and help if I can, as it seems the DevTeam has abandoned us UMIK owners.

Not a single peep out of them in a month! I'm still waiting for a definitive response as to if they will ever provide us UMIK owners with calibration data below 20Hz (irrespective of any precieved inaccuracies in that data)... I know someone over there is getting emails of each new posting, I know I do for the thread in which I've posted in. Hello? DevTeam, are you even reading any of this at all? Have you abandoned your own help forums?

Last edit: by monomer.

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8565

• keager
I'm also very dissapointed about this innacuracy below 20hz. I have an extremely capable infinite baffle subwoofer setup that thrives below 20hz. I have spent alot of money on a mini dsp and the new microphone under the impression that I could measure accurately to 5hz.

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 10 months ago #8578

• Chisas
Hey monomer, glad someone is taking the lead and spending the time to help others on reaching a concrete solution.
I just bought the mic last Saturday 23th and I'm feeling that I only bought a bunch of problems myself.
They didn't even stated a "delay" or something about all this in their web page next to the "BUY" option.
Still in the product brief sheet link they say UMIK-1 does it from 15hz-20hz 1db+/-

What MiniDSP DevTeam doesn't seem te realize, is that their business really depends 100% on happy customers buying their products and giving good recommendations... huh.

I see 2 posible ways this struggle ends up:

1) They stop just posting nice words in the forums for everyone about them being involved on fixing latest issues, truly gets serious, and at least release the 20hz below cal info to all that bought the product seeing this as an advantage over competition and because it was a particular requirement.
Also, giving a technically CLEAR enough explanation to all recent customers regarding latest SPL "floor noise readings", and the sensivity showed in their 2nd batch cal files.

Come on, we're not mad about a script mistake?, we're humans, but is up to us to FIX them.
What's worse, it's more like a matter of good will if they have the raw information of each UMIK-1 sold as stated.
Leaving people alone with unsolved problems, is what really hits the trigger!

Or

2) We all who had problems continue on spreading word on the worst customer support ever due to the disastrous communication, because of their several flaws in theirs UMIK-1 line of production and quality assurance.
Leading to ----> No one wanting to risk on buying something again from them! or for the first time.

Indeed, I think most of us would go for a total refund, lets stick together in this, customer unity helps making a HUGE & strong legal claim if needed, on last instance of course.
As a lawyer I know this situation very well.
So, if this is a sad story or one that started bad, but with happy ending, is really up to THEM.

I still have hopes this whole situation gets resolved soon, and boths sides win for sure.
Regards.

Last edit: by Chisas. Reason: typo

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 9 months ago #8609

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
I know a 50hz X-over will not be completely down 100db by 20hz but I should NOT have a perfectly flat graph that far below 50hz...[/quote]

Did you check your FFT resolution (length)? That could be a reason here for a flat measurement. You could see it from the RTA window as well. Also the sweep frequency matters.

Just a thought.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 9 months ago #8610

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
[/quote]
A lower sensitivity factor indicates a decresaed gain of the capsule.[/quote]

Johan,
Sorry for the delay since this statement was related to a measurement in REW (investigated with John for past few weeks). We clarified a bit more all this information in the following link:
www.minidsp.com/forum/2-announcements/86...readings-in-rew#8607

Basically, that statement (UMIK more sensitive) was a mis-information when doing a reading with REW software. You're entirely correct that indeed the last batch have a lower sensitivity.

DevTeam

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 9 months ago #8611

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@Chisas,

Sorry to hear that you're unhappy about our products to that extend. Some of the statements that you're making are a bit extreme here knowing that we've been supporting the DIY audio community for quite a few years now and a lot of customers are happy about our platforms. We do get a lot of emails and answer all of them as quickly as we can. Some large corporations don't even bother, yet we also provide system design advise for all our clients even though our products are very cost effective.

We certainly agree that we had issues with the UMIK-1 calibration file and are doing our best to solve them. Unfortunately it's not as simple as it looks as we're working with different parties (e.g. REW free software, ourselves and the microphone suppliers). We're also glad to have a supportive community that is giving us feedback on how to improve the data and make our product better.

With all this said, since your order hasn't shipped, maybe we could help to provide a refund for your order? Maybe easiest?

Feel free to send us an email, we're happy to answer all questions.

Devteam

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 9 months ago #8628

• Chisas
@Devteam,

Appreciate for replying my email and giving us an update in the forums.

I think we're going for the "happy ending"? :)

Taken from my email to you:
"I really was trying to catch Devteam attention to get things resolved
for everyone asap, really just that. It was not my intention to be
disrespectful or similar.
Just pointing some flaws in the UMIK-1 production regarding cal file,
proper web page feedback, and lack of good communication between
support team and end-users.
You did recognize all this, so, I think it was just my right as your
customer to do so?
And I'm also a MiniDSP 2x4 "in a box" happy user by now. So, I was
just hoping I can be happy with my UMIK-1 mic too!"

Regards, and hope every issue gets resolved best way soon!

Re: Calibration File Question about freq range 9 years 9 months ago #8629

• mvs0
  • Thank you received: 6
@devteam:

It would help if you would respond to the other issues that are still open:

the "below 20Hz Calibration data" issue.

and the "SPL readings in silent room" issue.

When I ordered the mic last year I was expecting a calibrated mic from 5Hz and up, you did not deliver that, so far I did not see a solution for that allthough several questions have been asked on this forum.

Also the noise level with the 1KHz spuriuos interferer seems top be a design issue (many have reported the same error in spectrum recorded with this mic).

I have seen no constructive response so far from you how or when this is going to be solved.

Kind regards.

Marinus

Moderators: devteam