Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line!

A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7159

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
We worked hard to make sure all acoustic measurement becomes affordable, plug&play and most importantly accurate! User manual and application note to be

Hoping you'll enjoy it and fire your questions here if any.

Devteam

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aczern

Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7178

• aczern
  • Fresh Boarder
Great news!

Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7188

• aczern
  • Fresh Boarder
What is an electret microphone?

Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7190

• paulspencer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
An electret is a tiny low cost capsule that is the transducer in a measurement mic. They tend to be ruler flat but there are unit to unit differences once used in a mic, that is why the low cost ones all need calibration.

This mic looks like a value leader. One question - would I be right to assume that it handles input from the mic only? The only problem I see is that for laptop measurements, people would still require a USB interface or sound card for the output from the laptop.

Dayton have a similar but more expensive system - Omnimic. They use a CD and their own software for measurements.

Second question. How would you suggest people calibrate their interfaces?

Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7242

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@ Paul,

Not sure to understand your question:
"would I be right to assume that it handles input from the mic only?"

This is indeed a Microphone only. When doing a measurement, you'd still need the software (E.g. REW) to generate the signal (e.g. Sweep). That signal would be coming out of a DAC. The onboard sound card would typically be enough (at least on our tests and for all beta testers). If using REW, it will generate the signal for you so no need for a CD.

Calibrating sound card could still be done (e.g. loopback) but I think that with today's on board sound card (24bit/high sample rate), we're a bit further than the old days where PC manufacturers wouldn't care much about audio.. I think that it's better these days.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7253

• paulspencer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Many laptop sound cards have serious HF roll off and very poor sound cards that aren't good enough for measurements. Digital outputs are not always available - my laptop only has HDMI out for example. Further, a loopback corrects for both input and output, but where only the output is being used this could lead to an incorrect calibration. When the sound card is very poor, you can't get reliable repeatable measurements. You can't feed the output of the sound card into the mic, which is what ideally would be required to calibrate. Hence you have to do the loopback and hope that you find the sound card (both input and output) are good enough that you don't require calibration, then you don't have to worry.
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by paulspencer.

Re: A new toy on the miniDSP product line! 6 years 10 months ago #7256

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
I don't think that the output of todays standard labtop soundcards is much of a problem. Those build in HD Audio chips are fairly good if you use the correct sample rate (severe resampling artefacts are more a problem of the windows sound kernel).

However I agree that the mic inputs are quite bad and often have HF roll off (thats not a problem with an external high quality mic preamp or with UMIK ;) ), but this can not be compensated for with a loopback test (normally line in/out is used for loopback tests).

Depending on your measurement procedure different clocks (internal soundcard and UMIC) might be more of a problem (though can also be compensated sufficiently).
Moderators: devteam