Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Understanding the Umik-2 calibration file 2 months 3 weeks ago #56183

• Sanworks
  • Sanworks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I'm developing a custom application using Umik-2.
I downloaded the calibration file for my mic, but I don't understand how these values will help me get from dBFS to dbSPL.

Specifically,
1. What is Sens Factor?
2. What is AGain?
3. What are the units of the two columns? I'm assuming the first column is frequency. Is the second decibels?

Can I simply add the second column to dBFS measured at each frequency to get dBSPL?

Thanks,
Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Understanding the Umik-2 calibration file 2 months 3 weeks ago #56198

• mrene
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 27
I have seen this explanation  regarding the UMIK-1 a while ago:

The cal file sensitivity figure is the dBFS input reading for 100 dB SPL with the input volume set to 100%, which is 24 dB of digital gain. The UMIK internal gain (18 dB in your case) is taken into account in the cal file sensitivity figure, so your UMIK with the internal gain set to 0 dB would need a sensitivity figure of -18.673 dB.

Understanding the Umik-2 calibration file 2 months 1 week ago #56317

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1299
@ Sanworks

Each OS has different interpretation of dBFS to % and it's not a trivial answer. Easiest to use REW as a "reference" for that reason to test your software. 
1. What is Sens Factor? 
ANS: It's the sensitivity of the mic. 

2. What is AGain?
ANS: It's the analog gain. Not relevant since it's always steady and can't be easily modified. 

3. What are the units of the two columns? I'm assuming the first column is frequency. Is the second decibels?
ANS: Freq and dB offset.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam