Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51169

• ankitudaipur
  • ankitudaipur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Team, I purchased a UMIK 1 from Avenue Sound in India last month and after very first use, the unit stopped powering on. I sent back to Avenue and got a replacement device (706-45XX).

To my surprise, in the second usage this Unit also started giving troubles. Its powering on but not being detected by my MacBook Pro (2016).

I also have a MIniDSP 2X4 HD and I used its cable to see if the cable is faulty but no, it did not even power on with that cable.

Here is some more observation
1. None other cable powers on this Unit
2. Supplied cable only powers on but the UMIK isn't being detected by MacBook
3. I read the forums and ensured that I hear the "click" sound when plugging in UMIK and when I do that even it doesn't powers on. It only powers on while I do not push the socket completely inside. In any case the its not detected by the MacBook.

I contacted Avenue Sound again and was advised to contact MIniDSP directly
This has really left me really upset and confused. Before buying this product I did hear about the issues in forum but I relied upon the positives. Here I am stuck with a few days old UMIK which doesn't work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51242

• ankitudaipur
Is there any kind of support available by this company or its just interested in selling its products? highly disappointing!

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51243

• EdHowarth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Surely your contract is with Avenue Sound? When you returned the first UMIK did they test it and find it to be faulty or OK? Personally I would be taking the matter up with them not miniDSP.

Regardless of the above, did you contact miniDSP? This is a community forum and miniDSP don't necessarily read posts here.

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51244

• ankitudaipur
My apology if I have been posting in wrong forum, I really thought that this is being run by miniDSP officially.
I did contact Avenue Sound and they asked me to contact miniDSP directly this time.
Yes they did test the first unit and they said it was faulty, they also mentioned that its very rare to see a fault in UMIKs.
Second unit also busted in second usage and now I think I will have to chase Avenue or miniDSP harder to get a resolution. I raised a support ticket as well but there has been no response.

Is there a known way to escalate this?

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51246

• EdHowarth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
MiniDSP very occasionally post here but you're much better off with the support ticket. I'd wait a few days - they usually answer fairly quickly.

I hate it when the retailer denies responsibility for the product they've sold. We had a computer components retailer in the UK who had a large poster in their shop saying all faults should be addressed to the manufacturer. Absolute bollox!!

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51255

• ankitudaipur
Thanks, I will wait for an update on support ticket. Did anyone else have had such issue resolved? I can see that UMIK1 powers on but its not detected by the MacBook. I tried my other MacBook as well. I am not using any adaptor , the only cable which powers on the UMIK 1 is the one which is supplied. The other functional cables aren't even powering it on. I tried the cable supplied with MiniDSP 2X4 HD

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51256

• EdHowarth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I'm Windows here, never had a problem. Maybe a Mac user can comment on your problem?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ankitudaipur

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51259

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 418
Have you tried a different USB port on your macbook, or a different computer if you have one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ankitudaipur

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51262

• ankitudaipur
Have tried on a different port and a different Macbook as well and same issue :(

Last edit: by ankitudaipur.

UMIK1 stopped working 2nd time in a month 1 year 8 months ago #51263

• ankitudaipur
Just tried it on another windows machine and it did not get detected.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam