Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Using headphone output on Macbook Pro

Using headphone output on Macbook Pro 2 days 22 hours ago #48608

Is it possible to use the headphone output on Macbook Pro (2016 15" w/ Catalina) to feed the UMIK signal to an oscilloscope?

I have tried configuring in the Sound Preferences and using the Midi settings. The microphone works fine with the REW measurement software, and a signal is indicated in the Input Preferences.

The headphone output works for playing music and outputting the measurement signal to an external amplifier.

But I would like to use the microphone and Macbook Pro to display the microphone signal on an oscilloscope for other testing purposes.

Thanks,

Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using headphone output on Macbook Pro 2 days 17 hours ago #48612

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1572
In the oscilloscope app, is there a way to select the audio input? I guess you would set that to the UMIK-1. The app would have to ask Catalina for permission to access it, apps that haven't been updated for Catalina probably won't work.

What app is it BTW?
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrispercival

Using headphone output on Macbook Pro 2 days 13 hours ago #48614

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Out of interest, what functionality is it that the 'scope will add that you can't do in REW?

More features are being added to REW all the time so you might want to check that its not something you could do with the latest beta version, and to consider suggesting it as an addition on the REW forum if it isn't. Unless it's something really obscure :) .

www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-ro...rd-support-forum.10/

Using headphone output on Macbook Pro 2 days 8 hours ago #48631

I can use the oscilloscope app to view the signal. But the app is not as easy to use as a hardware oscilloscope, so I want to route the signal out of the MacBook to the real world. :)

Thanks,

Chris

Using headphone output on Macbook Pro 2 days 8 hours ago #48632

I'm an old dog just recently starting to use the REW app. It's an amazing program and I am discovering cool new features all the time. I used a windowed sweep method 45 years ago stringing together HP gear, so REW really appealed to me. But I have yet to tap all its features. For example, I just discovered the stepped sine wave test, using it for distortion testing.

But I wanted to do a bit of old fashioned testing, namely a tone burst. I've used a raised cosine test in the past and find it enlightening so I thought it might help. I'm trying to track down a ringing coloration in a tweeter.

Thanks,

Chris
Moderators: devteam