Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SPL Calibration for UMIK 1 year 10 months ago #44937

• dminderhout
  • dminderhout's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
My SPL seems WAY off on my UMIK 1. I've had it for a year and was only doing some very relativistic measurements and didn't really care or bother to dig into it. For example, if I measure my sound controlled and acoustically treated theater it's showing 75-80 dB with no audio generated. My hardware SPL meter only measures down to 60db and it won't show a reading. When I play pink noise via REW it's showing 120+db where my meter is showing 76dB. I don't remember the precise value and its too late to make test tones in the house, but it's WAY off.

I want to get it measuring something close to reality. I'm trying to use multiple mics to perform many measurements in many locations simultaneously and having to tweak the dB on each capture would stink pretty bad. The hardware SPL meter isn't a perfect device, but it should be +- a few DB.

My calibration file is showing Sens Factor =-.171dB which I would think means that I have an excellent MIC if it's only down .171 dB at 94dB???? REW is definitely reading the calibration file as it won't let me do a manual calibration but the data is massively off when doing measurements.

I tried pulling the ring off and looking at the dip switches to verify the gain setting, mine is really stuck on good. I would need to try some solvent as suggested in other threads.

What the heck is wrong with this thing and how do I fix it? My serial number is 701-6764 if that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eatapc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SPL Calibration for UMIK 1 year 10 months ago #44938

• dminderhout
  • dminderhout's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Also, to be clear I'm using REW on windows 10 to do the measurements.

SPL Calibration for UMIK 1 year 8 months ago #45659

• DanDan
  • Thank you received: 0
I am having similar problems. At a guess I would say the REW SPL meter is reading about 30dB hot.
I am running Beta 29 on OSX

EDIT, I tried the non Beta release 5.19. It works fine.
www.avnirvana.com/threads/umik-1-levels-...nly.6117/#post-46103

Last edit: by DanDan.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam