Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: UMIK-1 w/USB-C

UMIK-1 w/USB-C 3 months 3 weeks ago #42320

• AudioHTIT
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd like to get a UMIK-1 to use with my MacBook, Mac mini, and iPad Pro. For the Mini and the iPad I'd need to use a USB-C input. Will a simple USB-mini-b to USB-C cable work and allow me to avoid adapters? Thanks for your help.

Here's one from a brand I've used between my iPad and Behringer or Focusrite Mic Mixers.

Amazon/UGreen USB mini to USB-C Adapter
Is it snow yet?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

UMIK-1 w/USB-C 3 months 2 weeks ago #42520

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1039
@ AudioHTIT
We've never tested this cable but think that it would be fine. These adaptors easily support the conversion. Apple has another adaptor like these as well no?

Note that the for the Ipad, you need to use the camera kit. It won't work otherwise. www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-me...th-signalpro-on-ipad

Devteam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by devteam. Reason: ipad note
The following user(s) said Thank You: AudioHTIT

UMIK-1 w/USB-C 3 months 2 weeks ago #42535

• AudioHTIT
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your reply. I am not aware of this cable / adapter being available from Apple, but it sounds like the UMIK-1 can be properly connected and powered directly via USB-C.

I don’t think the camera kit would be appropriate for the iPad Pro 11, like the 2018 Mini, it also has a USB-C port, not Lighting. That’s why it seems to me this cable should work (by itself) for both devices. As I can connect other USB devices (like the Behringer UMC202HD) directly to the iPad Pro with a USB-C to USB-B cable, it seems a mini B cable would work for the UMIK.

I guess it’s time to try it, thanks again for your help.

Edit: I see in my original post I didn’t state that I had an iPad Pro 11, that may have caused some confusion (the iPad Pro 12.9 also has USB-C).
Is it snow yet?
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by AudioHTIT. Reason: Additional information

UMIK-1 w/USB-C 2 months 3 weeks ago #42822

• AudioHTIT
  • Fresh Boarder
I thought I’d report back that I purchased the UMIK-1, so far I’ve only tested it with the iPad Pro 11. It turned out I already had a USB-C to USB-mini-B cable, so I didn’t test the one I linked above, but expect it would work fine.

I was able to plug the UMIK directly into the iPad and it was recognized immediately. The first App I opened was AudioTools, both the SPL Pro and RTA functions identified the UMIK. I then went to the settings and loaded the calibration file without issue.

I then put some filtered pink noise on my system and went back to read the SPL, I could tell it was very low, so I made more readings using: a Radio Shack SPL meter, an iPhone X with iTestMic, and the internal mics on the iPhone and iPad. To get the UMIK-1 close to accurate for SPL, I had to add about 50 dB to the AudioTools trim settings for the UMIK.

The bottom line is that so far the UMIK-1 works perfectly running directly into the iPad Pro 11 via a simple USB cable, and then on into the AudioTools App. (oh yeah, the little blue light comes on too)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Is it snow yet?
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by AudioHTIT. Reason: Added photo
Moderators: devteam