Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Could there be a fault with my new UMIK?

Could there be a fault with my new UMIK? 11 months 3 weeks ago #38815

• FrankV
  • Fresh Boarder
Have a brand new UMIK, downloaded both the 0 and 90 degree calibration files and loaded the appropriate ones into REW. Ran tests with several different B&W speakers and some Mission speakers and see a consistent drop off of around 5 to 6dB from 10kHz to 20kHz on all the speakers in multiple different setups and rooms. Using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as a sound output device running through an Arcam amplifier. To make sure of levels, I put a 'scope across the speaker terminals and saw at most 1dB from from 1kHz to 20kHz.

Find it hard to believe all my speakers have such a roll off and suspect the mike is faulty.

Anything else to try before I return it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Could there be a fault with my new UMIK? 11 months 2 weeks ago #38978

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1050
@ Frank

Hard to say what is the case but few comments:
a) 90deg File should never be used for a single speaker measurement.
b) Some speakers naturally roll off. Not sure if that's the case here. Do you have an example measurement? How far was it done?
c) Electrical measurement has little to do here.. It could simply be the way the speaker measures.. :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Could there be a fault with my new UMIK? 11 months 2 weeks ago #38987

• FrankV
  • Fresh Boarder
@DevTeam

Thank you for your reply. My comments:
a. I said I had downloaded both the 0 and 90 degree files. I of course used the 0 degree file for single speaker measurement, I'm not stupid!
b. This could be the case. I posted a while back and since then have made some more tests. The roll-off is the same, but with reference to 1kHz, there is a peak of 2dB to 3dB at 10kHz and then the steady roll-off to -3dB at 20kHz. So indeed this could be the speakers sitting with their specified +/- 3dB range.
c. Electrical measurement was to confirm the source was flat - why else would I have mentioned it?

For now I'll assume the mike is ok but will find another reference to be sure.
Moderators: devteam