Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: UMIK-1 intermittent connection / static

UMIK-1 intermittent connection / static 1 year 3 months ago #37673

• rbrandt
  • Fresh Boarder
It seems I have some sort of intermittent connection issue with my UMIK-1. At times it seems to work correctly but at other times not. When the issue is occuring, opening the SPL meter in REW will show around 75 dB in a silent room. I also tried recording some audio with it and when played back you can hear it did record the sound but also has heavy static throughout.

I tried unscrewing the bottom ring and opening the mic to see if there were any obvious issues but couldn't notice anything. I then tried using the mic with the bottom still open (pcb loosely hanging with usb cable connected) and it seems to work perfectly. The static in recorded audio is gone, the SPL meter in REW reads 45 - 50 dB in a quiet room and measurements in REW seem to be what I expect.

I'm not sure if there's some connection that becomes loose when closing up the mic or what. If anyone has any ideas what I can do or check please let me know. The mic is several years old so past warranty.

Thanks for any advice. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

UMIK-1 intermittent connection / static 1 year 2 months ago #37798

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@rbrandt

It would indeed seem to point to something down to connectivity here. We haven't seen this before I'm afraid.. :-(
Is it possible the PCB is loose on the connector maybe? Easiest to take a couple of close up pics of the umik-1 pcb and email them to our tech support team directly by create a tech support tix (support.minidsp.com). They can take it from there.

Devteam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrandt

UMIK-1 intermittent connection / static 1 year 2 months ago #37824

• rbrandt
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, thanks for the reply.

I will try to take some pictures and create a support ticket when I get a chance.
Moderators: devteam