Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: How to open the ring?

How to open the ring? 2 years 5 days ago #33300

• Amane
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi! Can you show me, please, how to open the ring to access the PCB? If it possible on the photo or image. I can not open it, no matter how hard I try, maybe I'm not doing it that way.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to open the ring? 2 years 3 days ago #33309

• Amane
  • Fresh Boarder
Finally get it! Thank you for such fast support!)))

How to open the ring? 1 year 11 months ago #33381

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1037
@ Amane

Glad to hear that you figured out and sorry for missing your post. Note that you can always contact us via direct support ticket (support.minidsp.com). The way to loosen that ring is typically using a hairdryer so the glue becomes a bit looser.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

How to open the ring? 11 months 5 days ago #38752

• mpolite40
  • Fresh Boarder
How did you figure out how to open the ring? I am struggling with this as well.

How to open the ring? 10 months 1 week ago #39118

• Amane
  • Fresh Boarder
mpolite40 wrote:
How did you figure out how to open the ring? I am struggling with this as well.

Put something like a small scissors, in both holes on a ring, then grab a scissors by a pliers and turn both sides of a ring simultaniosly counterclockwise. It's hard but possible.

Sry for my bad english.

How to open the ring? 6 months 2 weeks ago #41188

I am struggling to open it :(
I've already scratched the casing quite severely.
It seems impossible to unscrew the ring. Help!

How to open the ring? 5 months 4 weeks ago #41400

• devteam
  • Administrator
Dear All

The easiest way to open the ring is without any force. :-)
There is a tiny bit of glue to hold that ring. A simple glue solvant (look for Goo Off at your local hardware store) will easily solve that.

You put that solvent (typically based on acetone) on the ring. It will loosen the glue and allow you to easily open it.

DevTeam

How to open the ring? 5 months 2 weeks ago #41510

Solvent only got rid of the surface paint and CE sign.
I am still unable to open the ring.
I purchased a microphone that was supposed to be capable of handling 133 dB SPL.
Currently it isn't and I clip it all the time when it's used during live shows.

I assume you won't accept sending a properly set replacement since the casing is already damaged. But at least can I purchase another one with gain set to 0dB?

Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by milaszewski.

How to open the ring? 5 months 2 weeks ago #41511

After leaving the mic standing on a plate with about 1mm of poured solvent for more than 10 minutes, the ring finally gave in. It was still difficult to open, because I previously damaged the notches.
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by milaszewski. Reason: edit

How to open the ring? 4 months 2 weeks ago #42015

I personally use a dental pick on a singular hole. Works no problem without any marring/damage. I own multiple UMIK-1's and this method has always been effective, but I haven't encountered any type of adhesive (i.e. Loctite.) I don't think they use any glue on the retainer ring, but I could be wrong (it's not a structural thread AND it's supposed to be serviceable so I don't see why they would.)

I personally have a Hu-Fiendly SH5-336 that I "borrowed" from a dentist, which is an expensive pick, but even a dollar-store metal pick should work.
Attachments:

How to open the ring? 4 months 1 week ago #42088

I stand corrected, I didn't read the whole thread--they did admit to using adhesive. I don't see the point in this, to be honest...

I thought I opened up my second one, but I apparently didn't. I pulled it out since I broke my other one (ripped the wires from the circuit board) and it's definitely glued--super tough to open up and the ring seems poorly made compared to the older one. I marred it so definitely need to try a solvent.

I need to open it so I can see how the wires are soldered so I can fix my other one :(

How to open the ring? 1 month 4 weeks ago #43024

• chris27
  • Fresh Boarder
No matter what I do I can't get the ring off. I heated it up quite a bit thinking the adhesive would loosen up, but no dice. Now the ring looks like it has been through war with scratched and gouges.

Any help is appreciated.

How to open the ring? 1 month 1 week ago #43211

• devteam
  • Administrator
@chris27

Please see our earlier post that you may need to remove the solvent. i.e. brute force may not do the trick...

"There is a tiny bit of glue to hold that ring. A simple glue solvant (look for Goo Off at your local hardware store) will easily solve that.
You put that solvent (typically based on acetone) on the ring. It will loosen the glue and allow you to easily open it.:"

Devteam
Moderators: devteam