Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Max SPL for Sub Compression Measure 5 - 300 hz 7 years 1 month ago #20015

• htguy
  • htguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I purchased my UMIK-1 mic from miniDSP directly with mic gain set at 18 db. What is the maximum reasonable spl that I can use the mic for sub woofer compression measurements from about 5 hz to 300 hz before the mic start to clip.

Also what can i change the dip switches too and what is the related maximum spl for my sub woofer compression measurements before the mic starts to clip.

I believe that as you change the dip switch to lower the mic gets less accurate correct. How much accuracy is lost. Is there a good compromise.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Max SPL for Sub Compression Measure 5 - 300 hz 7 years 1 month ago #20071

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1384
@ Htguy,

A repeat of the tech support question you've already asked so we'll just put our answers here. Please help us by doing only "one" inquiry in the future. Double posting here and on our tech support ticket = double work = much slower to answer everybody's request. Thanks a ton for your understanding! :-)

EMAIL answer for the record:
If you want to do high SPL reading (e.g. max SPL is 130dB), you’d want to modify the internal DIP switch of the microphone. These are located inside the microphone and steps would be as follow with obviously “no” power/USB connected to the microphone:
- Rotate the internal ring at the back of the UMIK-1, looking at the USB connector, you’d see 2 little pin hole
- very slowly, pull out the PCB board
- Then you can see the back of the board a lookup table showing the UMIK-1 calculations for GAIN. There is a DIP swtich that you can configure for 0dB gain.
- On the calibration file you’d then want to manually edit it with a text editor to modify the SENS FACTOR for the respective off. e.g. from +18dB gain to 0dB (max SPL), you’d want to “substract 18dB” from the sensitivity. i.e. -18dB. This way REW is up and running with the right levels.
- Close the microphone and you’d now have a microphone discovered

We’d recommend that you don’t do that modification daily though as you could damage the microphone pulling in/out too often.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Max SPL for Sub Compression Measure 5 - 300 hz 7 years 1 month ago #20095

• htguy
  • htguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok. I understand. Thank you.

I will post the rest of our discussion in case others find it useful.

My other question to miniDSP was:

So keeping the gain/dip switches at 18 db as it is now does that mean that I am good measure to a maximum of 112db for my sub woofer from about 10 hz to 300 hz?
What do I lose by changing the dip switches from 18 to 0 db gain?

Thank you

miniDSP response:

Yes, that’s indeed correct as far as the max level in the 18dB.
By going from 18 to 0db, you make the microphone “less” sensitive. It’s all about gain. It just means that you need more signal for it to register on the microphone since there isn’t anymore the input gain boosting the signal by xdB at the input of the capsule before it’s being converted for USB audio transmission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Max SPL for Sub Compression Measure 5 - 300 hz 6 years 11 months ago #20895

• flavio marins
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello!

I bought the umik-1 SN7805 and needed to use it in High SPLs for development of my subwoofer. The instructions which I found here were simple and easy to perform, but the results did not changed, and even the headroom did not changed when I toogled the dipswitch 1 from off to on.

After several tentatives I got my multimeter and :-( measured the dip switch switches - the switch 1 was not closing. the resistance was around 688 Ohms with opened or closed. the switches 2 and 3 went to zero Ohms when ON. I tried to switch several times the switch 1 in order to "clean"it with no success.

I went to the bench, wtih a magnifying lens and soldering iron and soldered a wire wrap 36 AWG between terminals of the switch 1. Now the Microphone is with the correct headroom for my tests.

Advice - add one more step in the plant in order to verify the dipswitch.

Question: did I lost the warranty of the microphone?

Thanks, and I still Love this microphone.
Flavio

Max SPL for Sub Compression Measure 5 - 300 hz 6 years 11 months ago #20909

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1384
@ Flavio,

Thanks for the detailed answer and explanation on your symptoms. We haven't heard of this before so it's a bit of a first. This internal DIP jumper being really for factory use and we're providing access to customer to help expand the use. It's not exactly for everybody.. :-)

In the end, no worries, you didn't loose warranty for fixing that little issue. It's a simple rework.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam