Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Multi-microphone setup

Multi-microphone setup 4 years 7 months ago #18416

• Jonas_h
  • Fresh Boarder
I am currently using the "old" way with REW and using external soundcard and ECM800 microphones. I am using a microphone switch, which have 8 inputs and 1 output and I can select which input I want to use. I have connected five mics to this and can then take five measurements in different places and average them in REW. The reason I am doing this is that it is a very good way to actually measure the exact effect of what you are doing and get the same results every time as the mics have a fixed location.

I really like the idea of getting rid of the external sound card and use USB mics and the HDMI-output on my computer.

Do you have any experience in doing something like this with the UMIK's? I.e. connect five (or more) microphones and be able ti measure from each one of them individually?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Multi-microphone setup 4 years 7 months ago #18448

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Sounds really interesting. We have zero experience but you should be able to do what you need by using a USB Hub with ON/OFF switches. i.e. able to select one of the mics. Do you see what we mean? You unfortunately can't have all mics connected to one PC if they have the same ANALOG DIP switch gain (i.e. same name). They have the same USB ID so they wouldn't recognize themselves as separate entities. The USB hub with ON/OFF switch (similar to your little box switch) should do the trick. Just curious if REW will recognize USB on/off as you change device.. not 100%sure..

www.amazon.com/Generic-7-Port-USB-Hub-Port/dp/B007S642BW

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Multi-microphone setup 4 years 7 months ago #18456

• Jonas_h
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the answer! Your solution is one I have thought of but, as you also mention, I am afraid how REW will react when doing it. I know that REW sometimes needs restart when you change the HDMI plug, so I am afraid that it will require this for each measurement. Then it will quickly take over one minute per measurement where I can switch in less than a second today.

But I can ask a friend to take the mic out and in again and see how REW reacts.

Multi-microphone setup 3 years 1 month ago #27739

• ylecoeur
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,
I know that it is possible to flash the USBStreamer to set different USB IDs.
Wouldn't it be possible to do the same with the UMIK-1s?
Moderators: devteam