Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

UMIK-1 recording signal (db) correct ? 8 years 2 weeks ago #17572

• Bill Hoerst
  • Bill Hoerst's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm newbie to the UMIK-1. The software is installed properly with correct mic kalibration.
Everything works fine.

I'm wondering if the recording level (db) is perfectly measured ?
I understand that there's an AD-Converter inside the microphone. But is there a garantee that the line in
level is recorded at the real level in db ?

Anybody knows about that ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

UMIK-1 recording signal (db) correct ? 8 years 2 weeks ago #17573

• curryman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 181

I'm newbie to the UMIK-1. The software is installed properly with correct mic kalibration.
Everything works fine.

I'm wondering if the recording level (db) is perfectly measured ?
I understand that there's an AD-Converter inside the microphone. But is there a garantee that the line in
level is recorded at the real level in db ?

Anybody knows about that ?

Which software are you using? The recorded level actually depends on how the software handles the calibration, e.g. if the calibration file is correctly used. With REW its really easy and as far as I can say very exact.

If the Software is properly setup using the individual mic calibration file the level is quite acourate, with view on the price even excellent. I did some comparisons between UMIK-1 with REW and very expensive measurement equipment including Bruel & Kjaer Measurement Microphones and the deviation with respect to overall level was below 0.2dB (at least with my UMIK-1). Thats well within or probably even below the standard deviation between measurements that can be achieved in practical measurements (e.g. mic placement, other disturbing noises etc.).

kind regards, Daniel

UMIK-1 recording signal (db) correct ? 8 years 2 weeks ago #17574

• Bill Hoerst
  • Bill Hoerst's Avatar Topic Author
I'm also using The REW Software. I downloaded the calibration file and set its parameters, so everything should work properly, as I said.

What I'm wondering is the output signal of my laptop soundcard, going by 3.5mm plug to my main amp and from main amp to my speaker.
As I can adjust the output volume of my windows sound panel and the output volume of my main amp individually - from where does the microphone
get the volume data in db (1 Watt/1 Meter)?

Hope, I did explain understandable.

Thanks for help in advance

UMIK-1 recording signal (db) correct ? 8 years 2 weeks ago #17576

• curryman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 181
The UMIK-1 is recognized as a digital soundcard with the calibration file describing the real world level (measured sound pressure) vs. digital full scale. REW configures this "soundcard" to not attenuate nor amplify this signal. The internal gain/sensitivity of the UMIK-1 is fixed and can not be changed via software (only by hardware modifications).

If you use other software you have to make sure that the corresponding audio mixer (e.g. windows kernel mixer) does not change the level (100% volume setting, no gain) and that the calibration file is correctly used e.g. sensitivity correctly set. Not sure though to what actual level the sens factor in the calibration file is referenced to, maybe Devteam can clarify.

kind regards, Daniel

UMIK-1 recording signal (db) correct ? 8 years 1 week ago #17670

• Byteside
Nice to hear that the UMIK-1 is correct, however for me it seems to not go lower as 45 dB. I thought it would be fun to measure how noisy my room is (especially my PC fans). Is this possible?

• Page:
Moderators: devteam