Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16058

• tillerb
  • tillerb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I purchased the Umik to measure LEQ on concerts with Faber Acoustics SigScope Pro. On the Faber web site it´s reported that SigscopePro will download the calibration file and no adjustments are need to be done. Which worked perfectly, the message poped up that the data were successfully updated. But first show I measured I got clipping indication at 114db, which is way too low for my purpose. And this was even about 15 meter away from the speakers - at FOH position. Now I read here in the forum, that the mic sensitivity can be altered by changing some internal dip switched. So can someone shine some light on how to do this and what happens with the auto calibration function after doing this operation. A detailed Howto will be much appreciated! In Switzerland every concert has to be monitored and therefor I need to be sure that my set-up is correct. My serial No is 700 4862
Thanks for any help! kind regards, Till

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16095

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
Hello Till,

Neat application.. :-)
You can indeed change the internal DIP switch to lower the sensitivity (i.e. allow more SPL). Just open the mic by rotating the little ring at the back (E.g. using a pair of tweezers). Then the PCB can slowly come out and you can see at the back the look up table. For the lowest setting, put all the gains up to 1.1.1 and it will have 0dB gain (i..e highest SPL reading). Make sure that you update accordingly the sensitivity of your calibration file (i.e. need to minus the Sens value in the text file by the amount of dB change: .e.g from +12dB to 0 = -12dB to be added to the sensitivity)
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16144

• tillerb
Thanks for the reply. Now I changed the dip switches as you recommended to 0dB, but I need more help:
First here is the line from the original calibration file: "Sens Factor =-0.650dB, SERNO: 7004862"
What is the correct settings after changing all dip switches to "ON"=0dB ?
Second question: How do I get SignalScop to read this new file?.
The application automatically downloads the cal-file from the internet, but I guess this is still the original file, si is there a possibility that
you can alter this online file? I guess this has to be done on your server, which I do not have access to.
Again - thanks for any assistance!
regards, Till

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16191

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ Till,

0dB DIP switch sounds good for your Live sound application. Let us update the file online. Should be done by the end of today.

DevTeam

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16227

• tillerb
Hi, thanks for the reply. May I kindly ask you to check if you have updated the online file?
Signalscop Pro still claims clipping at 114db. I checked the downloadable file on the Umik 1 product page and I can not see any change
in the first line.
Thanks again for any assistance. kind regards, Till

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16228

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Till,

Sorry about that, the server didn't update the file correctly I guess. Have a try again now. Can you please confirm if this is working?

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 3 months ago #16252

• tillerb
Hi, this time it worked and the cal file shows the updated sensitivity.
The mic clips now at 120db, which is still not enough for live sound application, but better than 114db.
May be it would be a great idea to release a live sound version of the mic, at least here in Europe it would find a lot of buyers, as
it is a big discussion ongoing about level regulations. Nearly every concert LEQ needs to be monitored, in some countries regulated by law.
Thanks for the assistance! kind regards, Till

UMIK + iPAD * Faber SigscopePro 8 years 2 months ago #16282

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Till,

Thanks for the follow up. We could indeed see what's required. Mostly it would be a hardware modification to basically change the input padding. That is something we could investigate maybe on a test kit. Feel free to open a ticket with us on our portal: minidsp.desk.com

DevTeam

• Page:
Moderators: devteam