Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Live monitoring audio from UMIK-1 with WinXP? 8 years 6 months ago #15080

• oluv
  • oluv's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to make some speaker measurements with REW and the UMIK-1.
For optimum positioning I would like to hear first what the microphone is recording, so that I can optimize position angle etc. I also have a Dayton-Audio iMM-6 microphone that I use with my Ipad for quick measurements and it has a built-in audio output, so that I can actually hear what I am measuring. This is quite helpful to really find the optimum angle etc.

Now I would like to hear some live-audio on the UMIK-1 as well, but so far, I have not managed with any program. I tried recording with Wavelab, but I cannot hear the recording live, just when it is finished and I playback the recorded file afterwards, although "monitor" is active during recording.

I only managed so far through the control panel when I go to the "voicerecording"-tab and do a "hardwaretest", but this is quite a clumsy way to do it, the quality is pretty bad like 8-bit and I get about 1 second of latency.

Any help?

Thanks a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Live monitoring audio from UMIK-1 with WinXP? 8 years 6 months ago #15099

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
Hello Oluv,

This is the first time we hear of this use, so maybe we'd need to know a bit more the steps you're taking to do live monitoring (i.e. I suspect that 2 apps are accessing the mic?). USB wise, I'm not too sure how this works. Isn't the iMM6 an analog mic plugged into the headset? i.e. it's not USB driver?

Once we see how you do monitoring and which software you'd typically use for that, we can see if we can support it or not.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Live monitoring audio from UMIK-1 with WinXP? 8 years 6 months ago #15115

• oluv
  • oluv's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
the iMM6 is indeed an analog mic plugged into the headset, but it also has a built-in audio-return, so that you can acutally hear what you are recording, this is pretty helpful and there is no delay at all.

i don't need live-monitoring during the measuring process, but rather before setup to check if the angles to the speakers are ok etc.
often 1 degree of turn will improve treble-response considerably, but you only hear this when listening through the microphone.

meanwhile i have found one free windows program, it's called "audio recorder" or something like this, very simple, but it allows me to hear what the UMIK-1 is recording. the quality is better than what i got through windows' own control panel, but unfortunately there is also quite a long delay of about 1 second, which makes it hard to follow any change in re-positioning.

usually i just start the program and plug in my headphones into the headphone-port of my notebook, then i attach my iphone or whatever to the speakers and play some pink noise doing all the adjustments and listening to the change in sound. when finished i deattach the headphones from my notebook and the iphone from the speaker, attach the speakers to the notebook and do the measuring process.

it would be somehow great, if the whole attaching-deattaching process could be simplified. I have lots of speakers to measure and it is quite a hassle to do this every time, especially if i am in a hurry i sometimes mix up the wires and then listen with my headphone to the pinknoise directly coming out of my notebook with full power! ouch! :pinch:

meanwhile i even thought if i should just attach the iMM-6 to the UMIK-1 and use the UMIK for monitoring only. if both mics are close to parallel this should be precise enough i guess.

if you have other suggestions, please let me know!

thanks, o.

Last edit: by oluv.

Live monitoring audio from UMIK-1 with WinXP? 8 years 5 months ago #15127

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
mmmh, interesting and it now makes a bit more sense.. :-)

Sorry we don't know of any app doing that as of now, but we will keep an eye and let you know if anything surfaces.
How many speakers do you have to tune btw? Sounds like a lot... I'm sure we'd be happy to hear more about it this cool application

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam