Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SPL Reading in REW wrong 8 years 7 months ago #14699

• Precise
  • Precise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I have a UMIK-1 serial: 700-3268 its about 2 months old. I have downloaded the calibration file for and it's picked up in REW 5.01 20 build 3339 so all was looking good until I pulled up the SPL meter and I noticed the minimum the SPL window shows :

It will not go any lower then that and im in a near silent room. I was thinking maybe it was set for high levels rather then low levels? and moved on to try and get a 77dB C weighted responce from each speaker so I played -20dBFS pink noise from each of the speakers, at this point I realised the calibration is well off as I was having to drive the system far harder then required and I still wasn't able to get to 77dB from one speaker ( I could have but the I could tell I was driving way over 77dB). I have got a radio shake SPL meter and although maybe not so accurate I am finding the REW/UMIK-1 combo is about -20dB down from the radio shack SPL meter.

Does anybody have any ideas for me as I bought this mic purely based on it being calibrated and no need for a separate pre amp.

Thank you in advanced!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SPL Reading in REW wrong 8 years 7 months ago #14706

• Precise
Okay new day and I've just looked over this again and not sure why but the SPL meter is responding much better! I did try unplugging the mic the other day and restarting REW but it made no difference to the readings BUT today it's going much lower and seems far clsoer to what I would expect.

I would like to check I have the Windows 7 Microphone properties set correctly, it has a +12B gain showing is this normal? I've tried to put it to zero but the closest I can get it is +0.2dB (I can't double click and type in the box) so i've put it back to its default setting of +12dB

Can someone please clarify this is correct and if not where should I be at?

Thank you kindly
Attachments:

SPL Reading in REW wrong 8 years 7 months ago #14707

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
@Precise,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! We did see your email ticket, just been a bit of a buys start of the week.
Based on your latest statement, the issue is most likely that REW isn't configured to allow control of the UMIK-1 driver level. You must make sure that under Preferences, REW is configured to "Control Input mixer volume". This will insure that the above will not happen.

Hoping this info helps and once again appologies for the delay in our reply.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Precise

SPL Reading in REW wrong 8 years 7 months ago #14720

• Precise
That's great thank you for your help, i'm looking forward to using this!

Keep up the good work!

• Page:
Moderators: devteam