Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Here is the place to share your questions/comments about your setup of the UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 6 months ago #14383

• rcohen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
It turns out that the delta between 0 degree and 90 degree measurements on UMIK-1s are extremely consistent, based on 10 measurement samples from Cross Spectrum Labs. So, I wrote a utility to translate the 0 degree calibration files from MiniDSP to 90 degree files.

If you need a 90 degree file to make measurements with the microphone pointed up, but only have the 0 degree individual calibration file from MiniDSP, give it a try (attached file).

If you haven't purchased the mic yet, it's worth it to spend the extra $20 to get an individual 90 degree measurement from Cross Spectrum Labs. If you already have the mic, this is a good alternative.

File Attachment:

File Name: micdelta.zip
File Size:995 KB

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by rcohen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 007L2Kill, Flavio, dgemma, heikin.yee

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 6 months ago #14393

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 927
@ rcohen,

Very neat indeed and a big thanks for sharing with the community!
I'm guessing that you needed that file for Dirac software?

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 6 months ago #14396

• rcohen
  • Fresh Boarder
devteam wrote:
@ rcohen,

Very neat indeed and a big thanks for sharing with the community!
I'm guessing that you needed that file for Dirac software?

DevTeam
Pretty much. I am using Dirac for a home theater setup, so I needed to do measurements with the 90 degree orientation. Dirac still worked with a 0 degree file, but it was showing a lot of treble rolloff. As you might expect, correcting the rolloff produced sound with overly boosted treble. So, I had to set the target curve so that Dirac wouldn't correct it to get good sound. It kind of defeats the point of using a calibrated mic, though. With a 90 degree file, I can start with a more accurate curve and see what I'm doing better when I set the target curve.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16300

• J19801110
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you so much for posting this. Getting a umik-1 shipped from spectrum would cost me an extra $65 because of price and shipping differences. Nothankyou!

I'm wondering if we can make a 45 degree file also somehow? The reason is that in a home cinema set-up some speakers will be at a different height so placing the microphone at a 45 degree angle for all speakers is possible with just one mic position but placing it at 90 degrees isn't as the angle would hvd to be changed constantly. I'm not sure I'm making sense, I could try and draw a diagram but I'm not very good with drawing.

Anyhow, is it possible?

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16301

• rcohen
  • Fresh Boarder
J19801110 wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this. Getting a umik-1 shipped from spectrum would cost me an extra $65 because of price and shipping differences. Nothankyou!

I'm wondering if we can make a 45 degree file also somehow? The reason is that in a home cinema set-up some speakers will be at a different height so placing the microphone at a 45 degree angle for all speakers is possible with just one mic position but placing it at 90 degrees isn't as the angle would hvd to be changed constantly. I'm not sure I'm making sense, I could try and draw a diagram but I'm not very good with drawing.

Anyhow, is it possible?
Yes, if you have reference 0 degree and 45 degree calibration files from another UMIK-1, this utility should work very well to apply the difference to translate your 0 degree file to a 45 degree file.

I included 0 and 90 degree files averaged across 10 samples, but the difference turned out to be so consistent that using a single sample would have given good results.

So, you just need someone's UMIK-1 calibration file set. I don't have any 45 degree files. If you could post them here, perhaps they would be useful to someone else.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16302

• J19801110
  • Junior Boarder
Sure, I do have a full set. I'll post it a bit later when I'm home.

Im wondering, how great is the difference between factory calibration and cross-spectrum calibration for the same umik (for 0 degrees that is). Did you have any data on that?

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16303

• rcohen
  • Fresh Boarder
J19801110 wrote:
Sure, I do have a full set. I'll post it a bit later when I'm home.

Im wondering, how great is the difference between factory calibration and cross-spectrum calibration for the same umik (for 0 degrees that is). Did you have any data on that?

I also found one, if you need it.

They did appear to be different at the very top and bottom, although it was within the variation, and I didn't have a bunch of samples. No idea which one is more correct. At some point, how much treble or bass you like is a matter of taste, anyway (and the room and the speakers and the recording...)
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rcohen.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16304

• J19801110
  • Junior Boarder
How much of a differemce are we talking about? Below 1dB or over? :)

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16305

• rcohen
  • Fresh Boarder
J19801110 wrote:
How much of a differemce are we talking about? Below 1dB or over? :)
Compare my last graph "my 0" vs "avg ref 0". My 0 is miniDSP (1 sample). Avg ref 0 is 10 Cross Spectrum samples.

If you move the my 0 graph up to overlap them better, it's about a 1 db difference, although it's impossible to say how much is a difference in calibration and how much is sample variation. It is smooth, though, and I tend the treble and bass more than 1 db to my taste, so I'm not worried about which is more correct.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 4 years 1 month ago #16318

• J19801110
  • Junior Boarder
Great. Thank you. Here are the files. Let me know if they're according to what you expected / in line with previous measurements.

Mmm... for some reason I can't attach files.
Third try...
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by J19801110.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 3 years 10 months ago #17823

• psketch
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting to see that minidsp now offer a calculated 90 degree offset file themselves - for use with their Direc implementation. The cal file seems pretty similar to your generated one :-) I did wonder if you'd had any luck generating a 45 degree version of your utility - my rear and surround speakers are ceiling mounted with the LCR being in front, so a 45 degree option would be best for me and sending my mic to CS isn't really an option as I live in the UK.

Thanks

pete S

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 3 years 10 months ago #17824

• rcohen
  • Fresh Boarder
psketch wrote:
Interesting to see that minidsp now offer a calculated 90 degree offset file themselves - for use with their Direc implementation. The cal file seems pretty similar to your generated one :-) I did wonder if you'd had any luck generating a 45 degree version of your utility - my rear and surround speakers are ceiling mounted with the LCR being in front, so a 45 degree option would be best for me and sending my mic to CS isn't really an option as I live in the UK.

Thanks

pete S

That's cool that they started including 90 degree files. Based on the consistency of Cross Spectrum measurements, calculated files seem to be very accurate.

You can use my same utility to generate 45 degree files. You just need to get your hands on a single sample of 0 degree and 45 degree files from the same model mic. It will apply any offset, based on the files you feed it. Based on my tests, averaging 10 samples was unnecessary.

It looks like J19801110 provided some reference 0 and 45 degree files for a UMIK-1 a couple posts up. The narrow band 0 & 45 ones should work nicely, assuming you're using a UMIK-1.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by rcohen.

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 2 years 11 months ago #22615

• hendra
  • Fresh Boarder
how to implement that file u shared with my UMIK from minidsp?
sorry for stupid question, but i am newbie.. t

thanks so much for helping

Translate 0-degree Calibration to 90-degree 2 years 11 months ago #22649

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 927
@ hendra

Not sure to understand your question... You can get the 90deg directly from the UMIK-1 page. All explained in great details :
minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

Devteam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds